Tracking

Help Support CattleToday:

KANSAS

Reaction score
Over the years I have read numerous books pertaining to hunting in Africa. Book after book refer to the unbelievable tracking abilities that some of these bushmen have. Recently I returned back from a trip in British Columbia and although my guide was no bushman he far outclassed me when it came to following a track and determining how old it is. Does anyone know of any courses here in the States that teach tracking fundamentals? Can anyone offer any advice from their own experience in the woods.

Here is one I learned in Canada: When there is snow on the grown check you can guess how fresh a track is by checking to see if the "snow dust" surrounding the track itself is frozen to the ground or not. If is slides or brushes away with little resistence it is fresh. If however it is stuck to the existing snow it is definitely too old to track. My guide in BC would check this by taking off his glove and gently try to push the snow with his fingers. When he had to "break it away" we would not follow. When is slid or moved easily it was fresh. Trust me on this it works....
P.S. I dont know if I explained that very well. If you would like more detail just send me a pm.

Latest posts