Tough cow to AI

Help Support CattleToday:

Boldcat

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else has a cow similar to the one I'm about to decribe .
Last night when I was AI'ing her , as soon as I touched the cervix she dropped to the floor of the squeeze butt end first. I had to remove the gun on her way down to prevent injury to her vagina .
Now my gun was dirty so I cleaned it up and reloaded it.
Again as soon as I got throught he 1st ring she dropped and I went down with her . So now I'm laying in the brown stuff trying to thread her cervix .
When I got in (still laying down) I had my son come in and deposit for me.
I had some blood on the tip of the gun so she may not catch .
I keep records of all my cattle situations and noticed that she had been pulling stunts like this for the last 3 years .
I got her pregnant last year and my tech did her the year before.
Needless to say I think the bull can have a go at her from now on .

P1011332.jpg

I've probably A'I'ed over 10,000 head but this one was a first. She wouldn't drive so Ty just snuck a loop on her and I did her the 'old fashioned' way lol.

Boldcat":1sdw8wlj said:
I was wondering if anyone else has a cow similar to the one I'm about to decribe .
Last night when I was AI'ing her , as soon as I touched the cervix she dropped to the floor of the squeeze butt end first. I had to remove the gun on her way down to prevent injury to her vagina .
Now my gun was dirty so I cleaned it up and reloaded it.
Again as soon as I got throught he 1st ring she dropped and I went down with her . So now I'm laying in the brown stuff trying to thread her cervix .
When I got in (still laying down) I had my son come in and deposit for me.
I had some blood on the tip of the gun so she may not catch .
I keep records of all my cattle situations and noticed that she had been pulling stunts like this for the last 3 years .
I got her pregnant last year and my tech did her the year before.
Needless to say I think the bull can have a go at her from now on .
What kind of chute are you using? Mine has v shaped sides and won't allow a cow to go that far down. I have AI'd in one with straight sides that we had to run a pipe under her to keep her up. I also had a cow flip sideways in the chute. That one was in what looked to be undersized for the cow.

I've probably A'I'ed over 10,000 head but this one was a first. She wouldn't drive so Ty just snuck a loop on her and I did her the 'old fashioned' way lol.

I have dehorned the neighbours dairy cows in a similar fashion, after that if they don't have facilities, I don't help.

Dang Northern your so tuff you don't even bother putting your glove on. :shock: :D

Tod , I can't remember the name of my sqeeze but I have V-shaped sides too . She just drops like a stone , I think she's trying to break my arm with her butt . I'll size her up next time I put her through the chute and maybe the idea with the pipes will work .
Northern , Thanks for the pic but my horse just blew a motor (four wheeler) :)

Boldcat":1bzn92aj said:
Tod , I can't remember the name of my sqeeze but I have V-shaped sides too . She just drops like a stone , I think she's trying to break my arm with her butt . I'll size her up next time I put her through the chute and maybe the idea with the pipes will work .
Northern , Thanks for the pic but my horse just blew a motor (four wheeler) :)
If your base is adjustable you may try narrowing the base some. Also I don't catch their heads when AI'ing. They tend to stand a little better if their head isn't caught.

Had one heifer that did the same thing, gun looked like a "C". Bred her anyway while she was on her bellly. Since then she's stood fine. Her daughter did the same thing the first time I bred her. End of the month will be being bred for her second calf. Hope she behaves like her mother did

sun

Latest posts