Totally useless terms

Help Support CattleToday:

Hippie Rancher":3aoqj20m said:
Santas and Duhram Reds":3aoqj20m said:
One time my dad took a cow to the salebarn because she was always getting out. We brought her back home because he didn't want to let her go for the price she was bringing. Brought her home and she never got out again.

:lol2: dang, I should try that, just sent one that wouldn't stay home. Liked her but she preferred lower country I guess.
Maybe just a tern talking to would have worked and saved fuel in the bargain.

Oh she'd been lectured over the years, but 2 cross fences and a set of railroad tracks didn't hold her either - I could collect if a train hit her but if she ended up in somebody's freezer I would have ended up with nada. Pretty sure that is what happened to her calf from last year.

Not necessarily "useless" terms, but it cracks me up everytime the auctioneer points out that calves are "big weaners" or "heavy weaners".

docgraybull":2ep5ky9b said:
Not necessarily "useless" terms, but it cracks me up everytime the auctioneer points out that calves are "big weaners" or "heavy weaners".
Now that is funny! :lol:

MO_cows":1hu4mgcr said:
fancy, usually used in relation to heifers = not registered, tested or documented in any way, I just want more money

"Fancy" is usually followed by "Black Angus", and you hit the definition right on the money. I won't even look at an animal listed as "fancy".

Oh Boy...now here is a better cow....as opposed to the one that he just sold that was the better cow than the one before that. Didn't like either one.

"Fancy calves" is another term that I always get a chuckle out of..just black to what I've seen. They never call my herfs fancy.

DMc

Susie David":30rbmc23 said:
Oh Boy...now here is a better cow....as opposed to the one that he just sold that was the better cow than the one before that. Didn't like either one.

"Fancy calves" is another term that I always get a chuckle out of..just black to what I've seen. They never call my herfs fancy.

DMc
The fancy term is kind of strange but you can sometimes see it. We have a heifer (Red Angus commercial) that the vets daughter showed last year. The judges used the term fancy to describe/reference her. She is one of those that just seems to have a style/look about her. They heifer he has picked for his daughter to show this year is just a solid productive looking thing that he says isn;t as "fancy" as the one last year. When the 2 are side by side you can see a difference, one has a flare about her, the other is just a good solid looking heifer. In the sale ring it's kind of just a sales term to bring more money, but there are some animals that are "fancy" for as good a term as any other to describe them

Totally off topic but years ago I about fell out of my seat when a cow came in with twin calves on her that looked totally different. The auctioneer asked if the owner of the cattle was there and if both the calves actually were the cow's calves....An old timer stood up and said hel yeah they are. She gave birth to one and I bought the other one and gave it to her. :lol2: :lol2:

TexasBred":2z7bqa5x said:
Totally off topic but years ago I about fell out of my seat when a cow came in with twin calves on her that looked totally different. The auctioneer asked if the owner of the cattle was there and if both the calves actually were the cow's calves....An old timer stood up and said hel yeah they are. She gave birth to one and I bought the other one and gave it to her. :lol2: :lol2:
Sounds like Granny last year. She was raising her black blaze faced heifer when one of the Red Angus cows died. We bottle fed her but Granny claimed her and raised her a set of twins.

Latest posts