"no creep"

add others to the list

stockman12":2fk6jxyh said:
Totally useless terms

"just forage"

"a little grain"

"no creep"

add others to the list

They are only usless as the man who said them. If it's someone with integrity then they are good as gold if not then, caveat emptor. That's always the call no matter what.

Can you tell me the the nutrional value of forage?

How much is a "LITTLE" grain?

stockman12":1mvqg21v said:

Why NO I can't but if you feel so strongly about general terms like this taken out of context then do not base your buying desicions on them. They are what they are descriptive phrases used to market cattle to people who don't know enuf to ask for quantifiable parameters relative to the feeding of a given animal. In laymans terms they are nicely phrased Bu--Shi--. The trick is not believe everything you hear. That's why I said if it's someone with integrity that you trust, then trust them not to bs you too much. If it's someone without integrity then all the numbers and facts is the world could easily still be bu-- sh--. Figures lie and liars figure.

Why be so po'd by some COMMON terms used in the advertising of cattle by almost everyone.

Oh, I love the wordsmithing that goes on in the cattle business! I've made a few observations of my own.

we don't care about the papers = we want 'em cheap

stacked pedigree = This one may not look like much, but is related to some good 'uns!

fancy, usually used in relation to heifers = not registered, tested or documented in any way, I just want more money

And, every bred heifer ever sold back to the beginning of time, was "bred to a calving ease bull".

3waycross":qej9skgk said:
stockman12":qej9skgk said:

Why NO I can't but if you feel so strongly about general terms like this taken out of context then do not base your buying desicions on them. They are what they are descriptive phrases used to market cattle to people who don't know enuf to ask for quantifiable parameters relative to the feeding of a given animal. In laymans terms they are nicely phrased Bu--Shi--. The trick is not believe everything you hear. That's why I said if it's someone with integrity that you trust, then trust them not to bs you too much. If it's someone without integrity then all the numbers and facts is the world could easily still be bu-- sh--. Figures lie and liars figure.

Why be so po'd by some COMMON terms used in the advertising of cattle by almost everyone.

You got me wromg I am not POed about anything.
I just get a kick about these terms bantered around like if one feeds only forage they are on a higher level than anyone else.
I get a kick out of the "Little" comment...the last I checked I could not find that as a unit of measure
Even someone I respect and trust if they tell me "only forage" that is a relative term unless you have an analysis.
No need to get huffy over a post intended to poke fun at all of us and terms we use without thinking. Now take a dep breath... and relax

calving ease bull is a good one...would a cow that got hit in the side and calved a wek early be considered a calving ease bull calf???

" Now there is a cowmans bull" as opposed to...what

stockman12":bc1j3dfu said:
calving ease bull is a good one...would a cow that got hit in the side and calved a wek early be considered a calving ease bull calf???

" Now there is a cowmans bull" as opposed to...what

None of these terms should be offensive if you have been around the business a while. They just are what they are.

My three favorites are , These are sure enuf the right kind. Really I didn't know there was a "right kind"

Hair like a bear. ........and they are so ready to gain they will put on a few pounds on the ride home.

Now we all know those and others like them are mostly BS But who cares they are all just part of it, as we say in the Mountains.

.....................amd don't tell me to relax or anything else.! :nod:

You came on all hot and bothered and jumped to the conclusion I was POed. I wasn't so yes you need to relax

There was a term from back in my college days: " If you can't flatter them with wisdom, baffle them with BS." Another term to go with this one: " You can't BS a BS-er."

A term I hear a lot if "typey" or "right type". Now I don't know what the auctioneer has in mind but it may be something totally different from what everyone in the audience is thinking. And EVERYTHING is bred to a "black bull".

This is a common auctioneer remark in our neck of the woods.

Looking at an obviously older cow... "she's got her whole life ahead of her."

TexasBred":2dpug1yr said:
And EVERYTHING is bred to a "black bull".

Aint that the truth. At every sale barn it seems.

"Front pasture kind"

"Looky here at these money makers"

pdfangus":q6yix949 said:
"Real Money Maker".........(if I can get him or her sold right)

Those usually belong to the auctioneer or the sale barn owner. They really get played up. :nod:

Boogie...I've about decided there ain't nothing but black bulls in Texas. :cry2: :cry2:

TexasBred":blq6m100 said:
Boogie...I've about decided there ain't nothing but black bulls in Texas. :cry2: :cry2:

If its a brangus, I don't mind bidding at all if the cow is 1/4 ear or more.

Once I finally swap to a terminal bull, it might be another story.

I'm still two years out from my numbers being up where I want them. Got a 4 year old cow now that doesn't have enough udder to suit me. I like everything else about her but she'd going. Culled several early last fall and now have 4 more heifers on the cull list and it is going to grow. Prolly just getting to darn picky and it is hurting my numbers.

Got a few young uns that aint so good lookin but they raise a good calf. I'd take a beating selling those. Kept some daughters out of them that look a bit better.

My favorite back when I was buying and selling bred dairy heifers, "she will have a heifer calf, her mother did".

auctioneer joking about a ringmen being crazy the first time he came to town too. Though I have seen calm ones go crazy in the ring.

edit: just wanted to add a personal story. One time my dad took a cow to the salebarn because she was always getting out. We brought her back home because he didn't want to let her go for the price she was bringing. Brought her home and she never got out again.

Santas and Duhram Reds":1bthuxvm said:
One time my dad took a cow to the salebarn because she was always getting out. We brought her back home because he didn't want to let her go for the price she was bringing. Brought her home and she never got out again.

:lol2: dang, I should try that, just sent one that wouldn't stay home. Liked her but she preferred lower country I guess.

Latest posts