Tornadoes

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Just wow, this weather is crazy. The boss and I both volunteer through Florida Baptist Disaster Relief we spent a couple days last week helping folks clean up just 18 miles north of us. One place we worked was at a ladies house that I had worked with as a 4-H leader 20 years ago. She lost her barn all of her storage and equipment buildings and had a huge tree on her house. Her car was totaled and the house is a mess. Tonight we just received reports that a tornado has hit just south of us and hit an apartment complex no word yet on injuries. Please keep the folks in the path of these storms in your prayers.

Gizmom

I saw a picture of 5 tornadoes together on FB not long ago... Never witnessed one.. don't have a particular desire to either.

Stay safe out there!

I have lived in Florida all my life, I have experienced my share of hurricanes but we have never had tornadoes like this. They have reported that people are trapped in buildings so far 9 have been transported to the hospital. We are under a watch until 10:00 but the warnings are over.

Gizmom

I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully you will be alright until you come back. How's today, by the way?

I will be praying for those in need. Three years ago a number of tornadoes came through the area. Two counties over a tornado touched down and went right through the middle of two towns, and then continued through 2-3 more counties. I don't remember the total number of fatalities, but I believe it was in the teens. The cities are still in the process of rebuilding.
Just a couple weeks ago at our county extension office, we had our cattlemens winter school, one of the speakers was a county agent from a county that had been through that tornado. He spoke on the need for farmers to be prepared for that sort of thing. He said that blankets, bandages and the like were important. Having some fence and some posts stocked up, because it tore out lots of fences. I know most on here tag or brand their cattle, he said there were cases there where cattle were not identified and it caused some problem. He said that a lot of livestock had broken legs, and some had sticks and debris stuck in them.

If a tornad (of large scale especially) hits a farm, it is devastating. Literally worse than starting over.

Debbie, so glad you guys have dodged the bullet again ! We , north Al folks, feel like Tornado Alley has moved from Kansas to N Al the last few years. We have had more than our share and dread seeing a chainsaw , b/c of putting in so many hours helping neighbors clean up their yards. Coachg

Latest posts