Too much excitement!/It figures!

Help Support CattleToday:

makemfat

Reaction score
About two months ago, I bought a young bull at the local auction. He promptly jumped every fence in the area and took a scenic 5 mile run that night. He ended up at the only area neighbor that wouldn't let anyone set foot on their place. He would call when he got him caught, he said. I was in the breeding window for spring calves I wanted, so I had to have a bull. So last week, I found a 25 month old Angus that was to my liking. Saturday, I went and got him, and things went off without a hitch. Nice, calm good looking bull. Sure enough, Sunday morning, the neighbor calls! Got my other bull in the corral! I figured something like this would happen....just not the next day! So, I jump in the truck and make the 40 minute drive out to the farm. I go to my mothers house there on the farm, and she explains I don't need to hook up my trailer, the neighbor called back and said he put him in his trailer. So I go on down to his place to find the young bull loaded in a rusty old bumper pull trailer that must have been hitched behind Noahs Ark! Old scissor jack from a car holding up the tongue. It was about 16 ft long, two compartments, with a short divider gate, and the rear gate had a vertical sliding wood section....made of leftover wood from Noahs' last project it was so old! When I went to hitch up to this piece of junk, it spooked the little bull, who decided he should jump the divider gate to the rear section of the trailer. He got his left rear leg caught above the hinges, between the gate and the wall of the trailer. He skinned up the inside of his leg, and was pinned pretty good. Luckily, I had some junk in the back of my truck! I mangled the side of the old coots' trailer by prying the sides with 2 x 4's, to make more room for the hoof and ankle area. Then we finally had the room to knock the gate pins up and out beside the bulls leg. What a stressful thing to happen! I don't know who had the higher heart rate.....me or the bull! Got him home, and put him in the quarantine lot with the new bull. Maybe some of the calm and gentle will rub off on him! God I love having cattle sometimes!

Yep, as soon as he regains the weight he lost running with the wild bunch next door, on their desert of a pasture, he will get to take one last ride!

I would not wait. I would rather take a small loss now than put up with the aggravation he will cause while you are trying to put the weight back on even if he does not go for anymore midnight strolls!

Latest posts