Too Late?

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Been pretty cool up this way so I haven't gotten my garden planted.
Got the area all ready for it.
I just plan to put in my tomatos, green beans, spinach, beets, pepper plants and a few others.
No plans for corn at all this year.

Is it too late for anything?

No it's not too late. Been a really cool spring here also, & we're still planting now. Your avg 1st frost is probably earlier than ours (Oct 5) but you should still be okay.
Just choose early varieties for your tomatoes & peppers. (stay under 70 days). Find the biggest plants you can & give them a B1 feeding after planting (will stimulate root growth), and as soon as you have pollination, start feeding with high phophorus/low nitrogen fertilizer. It will stimulate fruit & flower production rather than leaf production. We practically nitrogen starve our tomatoes for maximum yield and prune heavily. (all low leaves & suckers come off). Hand pollinate blossoms for earliest possible set, but you'll need at least 3 consecutive nights of 50+ degrees for blossom set
Spinach & beets are cooler weather crops & short season so no problem there.
Beans should be fine also, but I would recommend shorter season bush varieties over pole type varieties.

Mines not in either ILH. Same as you, too wet and too cold. If I do get it in it will just be swiss chard, spinach ,lettuce ,green beans and some herbs. No taters and definitely no corn. It has been pouring here all day again, got another inch over night, and we are sitting at 50 f brrr . Hard to believe we can be on tornado watch with such cold temps. :roll:

I've been watching that low just circling you up there HD. Just crazy. Suppose to snow south of us at 9000 feet.

Went out today and put in the bush beans, tomatos, green peppers, spinach, squash and cucumbers. I found a package of corn that is 65 days and put that in too. Not enough for a full row, but will see what happens.

Rained on me twice as I was doing it too.

Planted some 65 day corn and that is up. Along with the green beans, spinich, cucumbers, and squash.
Pepper plants are doing fine, but my tomatos look like garbage. Might just have to go get some new plants, these are looking dead.

Latest posts