too fat to breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
long story short..had a hfr with a broke leg when about 6 mos old..gave it to the neighbor to raise to butcher..she came around ok so we traded a steer back when she was about 20 mos..shes pretty fleshy..fat really...been with the bull a yr now. her and 5 other hfrs went with the bull same day..they all bred and calfed already..she did not
can she be too fat to breed..cuz I'm ready to sell her for butchering...preg check is almost too much trouble if I cannot do it myself. she does not appear externally to be prego

I don't know why you would try to breed a broke leg heifer in the first place. Anything with an chronic/life-long issue automatically goes for slaughter here. No shortage of sound-bodied cattle out there.

I've had both my AI tech and our vet tell me that over-conditioned (fat) heifers can be difficult to get bred. So her conditioning could be the issue, but the leg injury could also play a part.

I've had a couple older heifers that got too fat and failed to conceive get moved to the butcher pen. They still tasted very good.

she is over 20 months old,,the broke leg was prior to 6 mos. I really don't believe the leg is an issue...she walks fine..theres nothing noticeable if you didn't know. I don't recall last time I saw the bull following her around tho....I don't thin she comes into heat....actually now thinking about it out loud I probly should preg check her I guess...

I have no problem butchering her trust me on that one

hats the advantage,,,shell be in the chute either way so...well idk tho..far enough along I can tell...otherwise its a vet bill either way

Latest posts