Too bad for R-CALF

Help Support CattleToday:

farmerjohn

Reaction score
Shakeup In R-CALF Leadership
By Jerry Hagstrom
DTN Political Correspondent
Washington (DTN) — The Ranchers Cattlemen Action Legal Fund-United Stockgrowers of America has changed presidents, lost a key consultant and seen one of its founders resign in the last two weeks.
Bill Hawks, the former USDA undersecretary who had been a consultant for R-CALF, resigned, President Chuck Kiker was replaced and R-CALF founder Leo McDonnell also resigned.
Hawks left in a blowup over letters sent to Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns in early January.
R-CALF, which was founded in 1998 because some western ranchers believed the National Cattlemen's Beef Association was too conciliatory toward imports and the meat processing industry, has had a long-term position against imports of beef and cattle from Canada. R-CALF opposed the imports on the basis that they allow U.S. meat processors to avoid paying higher prices for cattle and meat and on the grounds that Canada does not have sufficient protections against bovine spongiform encephalopathy.
On Jan. 7, R-CALF CEO Bill Bullard sent Johanns a letter stating the group's opposition to USDA's proposed rule to allow the importation of Canadian beef from animals 30 months of age or older. Hawks confirmed that he advised R-CALF President Chuck Kiker, a Texas rancher, that the letter was offensive. On Jan. 8, Kiker sent a letter to Johanns that some R-CALF board members found too conciliatory and deferential to Johanns' decision-
making power on the 30-month rule.
Kathleen Kelly, a Colorado rancher and R-CALF founder said in an interview, she started a movement to remove Kiker for cause. Kelly said the letter to Johanns "wasn't offensive" to the secretary but that "the secretary's feelings aren't as important as how offensive the 30-month rule is.''
Bullard said that R-CALF received no expression of anger from USDA over the Jan. 7 letter.
On Jan. 31, Hawks resigned and in a conference call the board voted to remove Kiker as president and replace him with Max Thornsberry, a Missouri veterinarian. R-CALF founder Leo McDonnell, a Montana rancher, and several committee heads also resigned out of loyalty to Kiker. Kelly said the internal battle was over R-CALF's culture and an attempt to change the organization from one that refused to be "acquiescers" to "posturing R-CALF as a kinder, gentler R-CALF.''
Thornsberry will assemble his own leadership team out of R-CALF's more than 15,000 members, Kelly said. R-CALF's annual "stampede" to Washington for visits to members of Congress and USDA began Feb. 13. According to published reports from the group's annual convention in Denver, over the past year R-CALF has lost about 3,000 members who did not renew memberships with the organization. R-CALF also showed a $276,000 financial loss for last year because of lower membership fees.
At that same convention Kiker was criticized by members for his work on the Cattlemen's Beef Board, the group that disperses beef checkoff dollars and is closely allied with the National Cattlemen's Beef Association.

••••••••••••

So R CALF continues to be agressive on the issuses,remember that is what got them here,representing the cattle man aggressively.
I personally think its not time to speak softly with packers/usda,and that the change in leadership was good for the cattleman and good for R CALF members...........good luck

What exactly has R-CALF accomplished that NCBA couldn't or didn't? i.e. what new laws or regs were passed or abolished because of R-CALF

all I see is that we (beef industry) are not as strong because we have two organizations

johndeerefarmer":d9c84z1h said:
What exactly has R-CALF accomplished that NCBA couldn't or didn't? i.e. what new laws or regs were passed or abolished because of R-CALF

all I see is that we (beef industry) are not as strong because we have two organizations

R-CALF has demanded some oversight on a USDA which had been running wild with turning the industry over to the multinational corporate Packers...They will succeed this year in getting the M-COOL implemented that NCBA originally proposed, but then dropped the ball on- and hopefully they will get some teeth put into the laws and some enforcement and oversight of the rules that have allowed the Corporate Packers (Big 4) to gain, maintain, and grow the monoply they have had over the cattle industry for the past 100 years....Before we no longer have an independent cattle industry.....

R-CALF has also succeded in getting the total control of the Beef Checkoff away from the domination of one group, the NCBA, like it has been for the past 20 years...The Checkoff BEEf Board is moving into separate offices now, and is getting much more input from checkoff payers nationwide- rather than the Packer influenced NCBA mentoring of before....

I suggest you get a copy of and read the book "Past, Present, and how we can survive for the Future in the beef cattle business by Benjamin C. Roberts....Very good read on how the Packing industry has taken over and controls the cattle industry from someone on the inside...And he is not either a R-CALF or NCBA member.....

R-Calf To Me Is An ORG. That I Dont Stand For They Dont Understand That Canada Was Importing Lots Of Beef To Be Packed Wich In Return Maid Many American Jobs Now Today Canada Has Maid There Own Packing Plants Thus No Longer Needing American Packers In The Future
Thanks
R-Calf

Latest posts