Tongue out panting like a hot dog

Help Support CattleToday:

BobbyLummus

Reaction score
I noticed several momma cows with their tongue's out panting like a hot dog ? Is this normal and just from the heat here in SC

Not just the heat, the humidity is a big share of the problem.

Bez__":3cp6kz9m said:
BobbyLummus":3cp6kz9m said:
I noticed several momma cows with their tongue's out panting like a hot dog ? Is this normal and just from the heat here in SC

I am betting - Black cows hot days

We raise a different colour and never have this trouble

Bez__
How is you black bull handling the heat Bez? :lol:

branguscowgirl":25eygf32 said:
Bez__":25eygf32 said:
BobbyLummus":25eygf32 said:

I am betting - Black cows hot days

We raise a different colour and never have this trouble

Bez__
How is you black bull handling the heat Bez? :lol:

That sumbitch has been locked in a 12 x 24 pen since he arrived - I will not turn him out.

Wife is PO'd at me.

SHE may own a black bull but he has no brides!

And I dammed sure do not need black calves.

Bez__

BEZ, tell us how you really feel. LOL Unless you sleep with the bull and take him to work with ya. I suspect there will be a black baldie running around next spring

We have black cows and i've never seen any of them pant like a dog. They will breath heavy, but i cant recall anyone panting just standing around. It must be hot where you are. Its 90 here today, warm, but not bad...

cowgirl8":32mx93ff said:
We have black cows and i've never seen any of them pant like a dog. They will breath heavy, but i cant recall anyone panting just standing around. It must be hot where you are. Its 90 here today, warm, but not bad...
As the old saying goes, it ain;t the heat it's the humidity. Granted we had dfferent cows in the desert then we do here, but even in 110-115 with no humidity the cows as long as the had shade never panted. Here, even in the 80s when the days are the kind that when you open the door you;re drenched with sweat from the humidity the cows suffer. Usually when one is panting like a dog so are most of the others. The normal 90 and 50% humidity doesn;t bother them but when it starts getting into the 70% range, they suffer.

We get gulf winds, we are in east texas where its like a jungle and our place is between 2 big rivers too..... You can usually gauge at how humid it is by looking at the horses grazing. If they are drenched in sweat, its humid..

I have never seen my Brangus pant. But I have seen cattle down at the fair do it. And they are indoors under fans.

Bez__":37y8qe7m said:
That sumbitch has been locked in a 12 x 24 pen since he arrived - I will not turn him out.

Wife is PO'd at me.

Bez__

:lol2: :lol: :lol2: :lol: :lol2:

I hope, for your sake, he doesn't "accidently" get out and in with those cows. :hide:

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":3uzj76k6 said:
Bez__":3uzj76k6 said:

Wife is PO'd at me.

Bez__

:lol2: :lol: :lol2: :lol: :lol2:

I hope, for your sake, he doesn't "accidently" get out and in with those cows. :hide:

Katherine
Probably already has Katherine! ;-) By accident of course......... :lol:

1) Are these older cows?
2) Are they good milkers?
3) Do they have trouble getting up?

If there is a yes to any of these questions, you should consider grass tetany (low magnesium) or milkfever (low calcium). Sticking the tongue out is associated with these two conditions (though I don't know why that is the case).

Latest posts