Tonadoes

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
Power came back on here at the house a few hours ago.

About 8 p.m. last night was the worst of it here. Clouds were falling out of the sky, headed south like a bat out of hades, swirling, and then headed north again. There were tails in every direction. I have seen bad storms over and over but none with the sky boiling like this. There was a little tornado to the south west but it wasn't touching down.

Then were heard it. It sounded just like a freight train with vibration. At that point it had begun raining so had horizontal that I couldn't even see the truck. I grabbed Trevor and we hunkered down in the center hall. There are steel bands in the walls of this house and every window and door buck is built with 2 by 12 headers with cripples underneath. The walls are blocked and there is deadwood overhead. The upstairs walls are lagged to the joists with angle iron and lag bolts. The decking is screwed on. The whole outside of the house is wrapped in plywood on the sub wall - not just the corners. So I felt safe in the center hall.

I have old growth live oaks with no leaves except for a few on low branches. Other trees look like nothing happened. I have shingle tabs in the yard. No broken glass this time and the hail didn't hit here so no vehicle was damaged. Two peach trees are split up. The rose trellis is built out of 12 foot cedar posts sunk 3 feet in the ground. There are 16 posts and they average about 10 inch diameter. A few of those were busted. These are the only wood posts on the place lol.

Knowing how bad that sky looked and how loud that tornado was, it wouldn't have been very far off at all. It was the worst turbulance I have ever seen. We are all very lucky. Less damage than previous storms. It could have been really bad.

Wow! Glad you got through with that little damage. Still, sounds like you have some cleanup.
I had ancient shade trees until a tornado went through. No damage to the house, but those trees were lost.

My sis from LA called after she heard about it on the news. I didn't have television early in the a.m. No power. Now there is no news on now. I will catch the details later on. She told me Crowley was torn up too.

I hate to drive to town just to look around. Maybe I should. I could use another box of welding rod but really don't want to make a special trip.

glad you made it through the twisters safe an sound boogie.its no fun losing your power that long.an not knowing how much got damaged.

We had high winds, tons of rain all at once. I am talking three inches in half an hour, if you can believe that. I couldn't. It overwhelmed the gutters on the house and rain had no time to be absorbed into the ground before it all began to run down the hill. I had some old hay bales for erosion and they were picked up and carried about twenty feet away. No damage, thank heaven, and no broken trees. It was fast and furious, though. And spectacular lightning. Just amazing. Blinding. I am amazed we didn't lose power. It went off and on about four times.

All in all, we got off extremely lucky.

Glad your OK, don't like them tornadoes, we get violent weather here nothing like ya'll get. Was in Cleburne a few years ago when one of your storms came through looked like the devils cauldron was boiling.

BHB I'm glad you're ok. It missed us up here in Bowie. Just thunder and lightning and about a half inch of rain. My daughter called from Ohio and said she heard on the news that Dallas and Ft Worth got it pretty bad.

Cal

Backhoe, I'm glad you're ok. Tornadoes are no fun. I remember being jerked out of bed several times as a kid and hunkering down in the hall closet with my folks.

BHB, that brings back real unpleasant memories at the end of December 2006. I remember getting on the board and seeing a thread you'd posted...Alice, are you ok...or something like that. I remember thinking, WHAT? I read that you'd heard about a tornado touching down close to where I live and thinking, whew, dodged that bullet...then it hit! The tornado skirted my house by about 40 yards. It took out our big pole barn, threw grain silos everywhere, and took the tin off the back of the calf runs. The lady who lives down the road saw the whole thing...saw the cloud move over the pole barn, hover...then the pole barn literally exploded sending tin, wood, whatever else for miles.

BHB, I would have never known what was up if I hadn't read, "Alice, are you ok?" After I read that, I looked outside and saw tin and wood and leaves whirling in a circle, and that's when it dawned on me what you were talking about. I dove for the bathroom in the center of the house. Ya' know what? I never heard a thing. :shock:

I realize I never thanked you for that warning...so here it is...THANK YOU!

Alice

No tornado here but we had high winds,heavy rain and small hail. Was out in the middle of it and really bad lightening fighting a large travel trailer fire and a pasture fire caused by a lightening strike.

Alice":gjx16yhf said:
...THANK YOU!

Alice

LOL I had forgotten all about that. The media made it sound like you had been stomped. Actually, you were about to get stomped I guess.

I am out west of Thorp Spring en route to Lipan. Today I have heard Lipan pronounce about 20 different ways. You'd think the media would get it right. It is pronounced the same as the Lipan Apache. Lye - pan

They tell me Horseshoe bend is bad. I got into town (Granbury) around 5 or so and saw lots of trees torn up. Nothing terrible.

I was concerned about my travel trailer out on the farm. Neighbor called and said everything was fine. Just over 3 inches rain in about 30 minutes with a lot of wind. No hail and no damage.

There was so much energy in that storm. Never seen it that bad even when I have seen tornadoes. Amazing that we are all so lucky.

We had a tornado 3 years ago and those 12 inch headers didn't mean a thing when it came to demolishing my shed. My windows and garage doors bowed outwards to the point I could stick my hand through.

I had a 460 motor that was drug 20 feet.

We were in the basement and didn't hear the train until after it passed

Santas and Duhram Reds":1bhxx45z said:
We had a tornado 3 years ago and those 12 inch headers didn't mean a thing when it came to demolishing my shed. My windows and garage doors bowed outwards to the point I could stick my hand through.

I had a 460 motor that was drug 20 feet.

We were in the basement and didn't hear the train until after it passed

Mine would have to bow through the layers of wood on the outside, and pull the steel bands loose that are on a tension load. If you read about how to build a tornado proof closet, practically the entire house is built like that. In stead of wood wind bracing, I used steel for that too. If the tornadoes get as big as those that took entire homes and ripped pavement off of the roads, nothing is going to help - short of a basement.

I wish I had a basement. One layer of limestone under the house is 14 inches thick for the most part. Now that I have the hoe, I could pull it. I'd still have problems tho since the soil here tends to shrink and swell so much with water and then lack thereof. Slabs get busted all the time, even with loads of cushion sand.

Lots of folks bury storm cellars. Some buy those smaller sea-land shipping containers and bury them on a ridge or knoll. You can't bury them on flat ground because they'd float out.