Tom Cotton is a "NO" on COOL

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
His letter to me

While I understand and share your concern for food safety, it is important to keep in mind that imported food items are subject to the same regulation and standards as American-produced goods. These expanded mandates to COOL create additional barriers and costs for importers and retailers, impede free and open trade, and inevitably raise costs for Arkansans trying to feed their families.

BTW - I did not raise the issue as one of food safety.

HDRider said:
His letter to me

While I understand and share your concern for food safety, it is important to keep in mind that imported food items are subject to the same regulation and standards as American-produced goods. These expanded mandates to COOL create additional barriers and costs for importers and retailers, impede free and open trade, and inevitably raise costs for Arkansans trying to feed their families.

Luckily Tom is watching out for our food safety even if you're not.

Rider, if history has taught us anything; the food and circus must flow to placate the masses. I truly believe that is the reality at play now.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
HDRider said:
His letter to me

Should I not expect food safety as a minimum for food coming into America? That should be a given. There should be no doubt that food is safe.

HDRider said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
HDRider said:
His letter to me

Should I not expect food safety as a minimum for food coming into America? That should be a given. There should be no doubt that food is safe.

I agree that should be a given and with dedicated public servants like Tom Cotton I can rest easy at night knowing he's on the job.

bball said:
Rider, if history has taught us anything; the food and circus must flow to placate the masses. I truly believe that is the reality at play now.

Follow the money.
If JBS has it's way the American beef is gone the way of the buffalo, no matter your size. Its much cheaper to import Brazilian and Argentina beef.
Get the 50 and under crowd gone and you have wiped out the sale barns.
Now you truly are at their mercy.

Caustic Burno said:
bball said:

Follow the money.
If JBS has it's way the American beef is gone the way of the buffalo, no matter your size. Its much cheaper to import Brazilian and Argentina beef.
cb, why is it cheaper to import?

ccr said:
Caustic Burno said:
bball said:

Follow the money.

Can you sell yours for .64 lb in USD?
I would like to find how cheaply they can ship in boxed beef.
That was the last price I could find on Argentina. Argentina exports 400,000 tons and that's behind Brazil followed by Paraguay .
I can't cover operating cost at 1.20 on 4 wts. figure cow cost are 547 a year.

ccr said:
Caustic Burno said:
bball said:

Follow the money.

I don't KNOW this, but I suspect it relates wholly to their cost structure.

My cows live on grass alone about 7 months a year. Then my costs goes up feeding hay for 5 months.

How many South American countries graze all year?

The minimum wage in Brazil is about $1.25 per hour.

Brazil has the largest beef herd in the world.

Google says, A productive, sought-after piece of farmland in the US sells between $12,000 and $15,000 an acre, - while a comparable piece of land in Brazil costs between $500 and $1,500 per acre.

Caustic Burno said:
bball said:

Follow the money.

Here thats a reality as one guy 30 and myself 39 are the last to have herds my friend has 100 brood cows or so but hes thinking of getting out.

Latest posts