Todays Auction

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching

Reaction score
Took five big older cows,will weigh in the 14-15 range., all bred for March calving, sold them for kill.
Anyway, watched some calves sell to check out the market. BAD!! Fancy 4-5 weight calves brought $1.10- 1.15. Common calves at $.60-85. And buyers seemed real selective.

Culled some old cows monday they did pretty good .54 cents weighted a little over 1300 LBs. Watched the calves sell wasn't pretty. 650 and up weights done the best high nintys to just over a dollar.

We recently culled 3 older cows and sent them to auction. Actually, we only sent 2 because one wouldn't load. She's always been gentle and calm here, but try to put her on the trailer and she goes berserk. We've tried to send her twice and now we've given up b/c the first time, she demolished almost every section of board fence we have and the second time, she threatened to jump through a 2' by 2' window in the side of the barn.

The 2 who actually went weighed 1,300 and 1,400 lbs. They brought $0.55 and $0.57 respectively. I never expected to get $800 for a cull cow so needless to say I was happy about it. We're going to have "the one that got away" put down here and donated to a worthy cause. She weighs about 1,600 lbs. so I'm still irritated for the loss. I just keep telling myself we're lucky no one's been hurt.

I wish we had a dozen more culls to sell right now. Heavier cattle are doing much better than light ones around here.

I took a bull and 3 young cows bred 2-3 mo. for their 2nd calf to the salebarn this week and took a beating. I was actually pleased with the bull price 77.50 cwt and he weighed 1980. The bred cows avg. 580.00 a head. I was working and couldn't make the sale or I would have PO'd them. They were my worst cows as far as conformation but they sure threw some nice calves for their 1st. I culled them because they lost their calves to blackleg, but I didn't want to give them away. Well as they say "$&it happens" :?

TNMasterBeefProducer":1bksftyz said:
mnmtranching":1bksftyz said:
Took five big older cows,will weigh in the 14-15 range., all bred for March calving, sold them for kill.
Anyway, watched some calves sell to check out the market. BAD!! Fancy 4-5 weight calves brought $1.10- 1.15. Common calves at $.60-85. And buyers seemed real selective.

Calves in that range are bringing about 1.22 per pound for 4-5 weight.
But you don't live in a TB positive state.

mnmtranching":f21ecp5b said:
watched some calves sell to check out the market. BAD!! Fancy 4-5 weight calves brought $1.10- 1.15. Common calves at $.60-85. And buyers seemed real selective.

I think light calves will come down more in price due to the cost of gain.
I spoke with a guy in southern MN yesterday to paid $170 per ton for good alfalfa hay...

What was the steer/heifer spread?

Stocker Steve":33wa2u0c said:
I think light calves will come down more in price due to the cost of gain.
I spoke with a guy in southern MN yesterday to paid $170 per ton for good alfalfa hay...

So far, the best deal we've found for good alfalfa here is $225/ton plus delivery :cry2: There are all kinds of reports about the severity of our drought and stress to our foothill and mountain rangelands. Makes sense why light cattle are selling for less and heavy ones for more.

mnmtranching":2ilqzojh said:
Didn't see any heifers bring a $1.00.

There is a big discount on heifers, but they end up being worth $100/head less as heavy feeders.
I bought a bull and kept all the shiny bwf so we will see what they are really worth...