Today's Additions

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
We are just getting started calving. These 2 are #'s 7 and 8.

This one was born at 6 am this morning. DH got out there just as she hit the ground. Only reason they went in the barn was because I wasn't sure if the calf had sucked. And with -9 and a wind, better safe than sorry. This is our 'herd marker' cow. The calf will make a good marker too, it is a heifer. Anyone want to guess the weight? Cow is about 1000 lbs, she is just a little thing.

DSC01937.jpg

DSC01935.jpg

DSC01934.jpg

DSC01940.jpg

And this one was born right around noon. As you can see mama was just getting him cleaned off when I got there. This one is out of a heifer.

DSC01945.jpg

DSC01947.jpg

DSC01948.jpg

those are some cute baby calves.you can tell they love laying up in the hay where its nice an warm.id guess that calves wweight at 70lbs.

Hey, those babies are fantastic! I had a little calf born the other day that looked just like the first one, but his spots were'nt permanent, and they smelled. :D

Cute calves. I'd say 67.3 lbs. :D Now for my newbie question, what do you mean by herd marker cow? :oops:

*edit to correct spelling.

spoon":sx3lvoyx said:
Cute calves. I'd say 67.3 lbs. :D Now for my newbie question, what do you mena by herd marker cow? :oops:

I will wait a bit before I give the weight out.

A herd marker is a cow that is different from the rest. I think the theory is that if you are out gathering a bunch of cows, and you find the odd looking cow that you have probably seen or found all the others.

Randiliana, Looks like good doing calves. I think the first calf is bigger then people think, or it's a small mother. I'm going to say 90 pounds. :shock: The second calf is a small one, maybe mid 60's. :cowboy:

I'll say 55 lbs. I'll try to get a pic of our "Dink". My 3 year old ways more than it. I was wondering what breed they are? Very cute, we love everything! Good to know about the herd marker.

I'm scared to guess. Can't figure if the calf is plump or furry. :? Either way its a nice calf and since its not going to cost me any money I'll guess 85 lbs.

im guessing the calf weighs about 78 lbs.. cute baby i like different ones makes life interesting. donna

Tep":3t2kn2dy said:
I'll say 55 lbs. I'll try to get a pic of our "Dink". My 3 year old ways more than it. I was wondering what breed they are? Very cute, we love everything! Good to know about the herd marker.

The first calf is out of a Black Angus bull. What is in mama is anyone's guess, but probably some longhorn, I think, although it is a ways back. She is reasonably beefy, although she is small. Probably some Angus in her too as she is polled. Not sure how old she is, we have had her 3 years, and she wasn't a heifer when we bought her. She isn't the smallest cow in the herd, but, she is close.

The second calf is out of a Shorthorn x heifer and a Red Angus bull.

I will post the weights of both calves in the morning. Haven't weighed the red one yet.

Some of you were pretty close on the spotted calf, she weighs in at 59 lbs. Pretty tiny.

The red calf weighed in at 75 lbs, 3waycross wins this one!! Nice calf out of a heifer.

She may be small, but you know, I like that 1st cow. That is, what I can see of her. I kinda go for the out of the ordinary, as long as they are good producers.

Latest posts