Today’s stockyard adventure.

Help Support CattleToday:

Could be, there could have been an odor and I just didn't notice it to the point of remembering. There are definitely some odors that stick out like that in your mind.
One time a lightning strike killed a big steer and blowed its hooves off.
I've heard of that, heard it can mess with horns too. Did it blow the cap layer off or just straight up it remove them from his legs?

I had forgotten about them not checking the cows age in at least some KY stockyards. A good looking cow that's heavy bred can make some money by not being aged.
I was 40 minutes from Lee City Friday afternoon. Guess I need to bring g a few up there sometime. When the sale was on Monday I would send my oddballs up there. The odd ones sold much better there.
They have a pretty decent market, I think the reason odd things sell better there is that you actually have several individual farmers there buying instead of pretty much just the order buyers.

I've heard of that, heard it can mess with horns too. Did it blow the cap layer off or just straight up it remove them from his legs?
From I remember it was the whole hoof laying off separate from the body.
Now that you mention it, the longhorn that got struck lost a horn, it looked like it had been hollowed out.
We've seen lightning strike the side of a barn and blow boards off of it.
The othe time I had a cow to get hit by lightning, it blackened the ground in a big circle like area around her.

They have a pretty decent market, I think the reason odd things sell better there is that you actually have several individual farmers there buying instead of pretty much just the order buyers.
I used to love going to the old stockyard in London KY. Seemed like every person there were old time hollow folks. Big flea market outside where you could buy everything from fruits and vegetables, horse items, guns, rabbits and chickens. Old time trade day.

I used to love going to the old stockyard in London KY. Seemed like every person there were old time hollow folks. Big flea market outside where you could buy everything from fruits and vegetables, horse items, guns, rabbits and chickens. Old time trade day.
It's been a while since I've been to London, maybe around 15 years, it was still that way then. They have a big goat market there, and I've taken a few there.
Lee City sells chickens, other poultry, and rabbits, they usually have several sheep/goats, hogs, horses.
I've always considered myself to be a displaced holler person, so I'm right at home in those places

It's been a while since I've been to London, maybe around 15 years, it was still that way then. They have a big goat market there, and I've taken a few there.
Lee City sells chickens, other poultry, and rabbits, they usually have several sheep/goats, hogs, horses.
I've always considered myself to be a displaced holler person, so I'm right at home in those places
Both London markets are closed now. I fit right in there though.

Another stockyards in this area that is closed is the Garrard County Stockyards.
Friday was always a day to be looked forward to. It began sitting out back under a shade tree with old-timers making curls on cedar sticks. Saddle horses flying up and down the back street were displaying their gaits. Junk sales started about noon with ax handles, work bridles, and whatever tool you could imagine going for little to nothing. Trouble was much of it was worth less.
By 1:00 PM the horse sale started. Teams of old mules sold that had been on the same farm for 20 years and the owner finally deciding their time had come and gone. I was always on the look out for a coming two year old saddle colt, loose jointed and with lots of overstride. Get them started under saddle and you could turn a nice profit.
Then the cattle sales started and in October might run all night and well into the next day. Feeder pigs and hogs sold in the hog barn about 4:pM. I am too young to remember the big runs of spring lambs.
Pin-hookers and traders were on every corner and controlled one section of the yards.
The wife accompanied the farmer on perhaps her one trip to town that week. She spent the day on the Square at grocery and clothing stores.
Those days are gone and not even a memory for many today.

Yeah, Lee City probably around an hour from Paintsville maybe less.
There's not many yards left up that way.
I think Louisa and Cattletsburg are closed. I'm not sure about Monticello if it's still open or not.
I reckon Somerset is the closest one now for people in the southeastern part of the state now that London doesn't have a market.
I think I've heard that Tazewell Tn market is closed too.