TJLA & Show numbers

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
Have you been to any shows lately? Today, we went to a show and only 14 total head were there. Called a friend at another show and they said only 31 head were at there location. Is it too early in the season or is it high fuel cost?

I think it is high fuel and feed prices. Alot of people in our area are either cutting back on the number of shows they are going to attend or just are not going to show at all.

Ditto, the daily cost of living increase is causing people to cut back. The same thing is happening in the horse show world.

The reduction in entries actually started over a year ago in our area. People are trying to put on back to back TCCA shows to garner entries but because of the cost of fuel, only the locals show.

When the numbers start dropping people are afraid to go to a show worried that it won't be worth their while.

It is getting too expensive to have fun :(

I was fixin to start this very thread myself. Heard that there were only 13 in McKinney yesterday. My son called from fairfield. Not sure how many they had there, but an all breeds heifer show A,B,C&D rings lasted from 8-3. All breeds steer show today A&B lasted from 8-1. I guess that jacket does have a price and it sounds like it aint worth it anymore. Seems like the only ones that are maintaining numbers are the one where you can really win something other than points. Tarleton State had a pretty good turn out a few weeks ago. I think they offer scholorhsips. I've never been one to go on the road every weekend anyway. But costs are now such that even the well to do consider the cost versus value of spending 300-500 per weekend. Seems that the steer shows may have a few more numbers than the heifer shows right now. I'm bettin that overall the steer folks have a bit more expendable income. Currently neither my son or I will travel to a jackpot unless its on someone elses dime. Just not worth it! Yes we will go to some of the majors next year but not near as much. I think that the money can be better spent on a trip to Cancuun..... :tiphat:

I think it's a combination of things.

1. Gas prices
2. Feed Prices
3. TCCA lowered number of rings that the kids can count. Down to 40 I think. Instead of 60. I have a feeling that most won't start showing until the Belt Buckle.
Way to many heifer shows. Chance got the Pinz. buckle last year, was 3rd in Simbrah, 2nd in Region, and 4th All-around and he didn't start showing until the Belt Buckle.
4. Since rings were lowered, it's going to take more than a class of 3, more like a class of 6, to get the buckles and all-around. Alot of ppl. can't afford to buy more animals, pay for the feed, pay for the gas, hotel rooms, food, and entry fees.

I think everyones taking a sit back and watch attitude this year. Unless the shows are giving breed buckles or something good.

It should be interesting.

mom

Plus, don't forget TAKS was last week and there were SAT's on Saturday. Chance said that where he took the SAT, there were alot of kids.

Johnna Ivey with Ivey League Cattle Shows here. We understand that gas prices are putting a strain on everybody's budget. In hopes of combating that... we've put together 2 weekends of heifer shows over long holiday weekends with locations very close to each other. We will have GREAT prizes at these shows and since most folks are off on Monday.... you get an extra day to travel.

First one: Memorial Day Weekend (May 24 & 25th). 4 rings on Saturday at Bonham ..... BREED BUCKLES (by Gist) and lots of other good prizes. The next day we have 4 rings at McKinney with SHOWMANSHIP BUCKLES (for juniors, seniors, adult female, adult male) and Division BUCKLES. Also... some very nice silver trophy cups, boot and travel combo bags, etc for Breed & Reserve Breed winners. There will also being drawings for prizes including an iPod Shuffle at Bonham. Enter all 8 rings over both days and be put in a drawing for a custom buckle display valued at $200 awarded in McKinney. Saturday's profits are donated to The Cody Horton Memorial Scholarship Fund & Sunday's profits are donated to Tom Bean Ag Boosters.

Check out show info on our website: http://iveyleagueclassic.tripod.com
for prize photos, show information, & directions.

Our Myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/iveyleaguecattleshows
(It's a public page, you don't have to have a myspace page of your own to view). There are some good pictures on this page and a slide show of all the buckles we've given in the past.

2nd show: Labor Day Weekend: 4 rings at McKinney & 4 rings at Loy Lake in Denison. We are still putting the details for this show together..... but one show (if not both) will be a breed buckle show. We're also trying to work on a 4 ring Steer show at Loy Lake sometime in the fall that will be a breed buckle show.

We try to make the prizes the best of any jackpot, we never charge late fees, and we often feature 2 heats of adult showmanship and award buckles to those winners, and we give awards in the $15 rings, also. Shows over the long holiday weekend represent a good value.... 8 rings in just 2 days with an extra day to travel, close locations, and no late fees. Also, we keep track of attendance and we award 3 to 4 Seniors scholarships every year based their attendance at the Ivey League Shows. :cboy:

Latest posts