TIPS ON QUICK HAIR GROOMING

Help Support CattleToday:

jacobychild

Reaction score
This is the middle of July. My son has a red/white shorthorn. The hair is kind of long. The last time I washed him, his tail was very tangled. I had to comb it out. We also have an Angus. His coat is smooth and shiny. We need to get the shorthorn ready, hair grooming, for a show coming up in October.

Do you think its possible to get the hair in shape that soon? If so, what are some handy supplies? In reading the boards, I see conditioner is a must (I've only been a member for a week).

I've bought Sullivan's Clear Choice Shampoo. We bath them only on the weekend, one day. We've missed the past weekend due to a very busy schedule. I haven't bought any conditioner or anything. We are here in hot Texas.

Also, we have not purchased a blower as of yet. I see, in reading the board, that is a must also. Anyone know if you can buy good used equipment here?

How often do they need to be bathed?

Sorry, we just don't know! :cry:

cowboy13":2hc8j703 said:
You need a blower and fans. Rinse everyday if you can, and wash once a week.

When you rinse everyday... do you use anything in the hair (i.e. conditioner)?

We wash every other day. Closeer to show time every day. Use conditioner and White Lightning every time. Blow and brush em. and stick em in front of a fan. They've kept their hair pretty well.

Ryan":1kxiqwff said:
cowboy13":1kxiqwff said:

no, we had not been. Should we have been doing this on a daily basis :?:

jacobychild":1yvxv01e said:
Ryan":1yvxv01e said:
cowboy13":1yvxv01e said:

I conditioned everday. I put it into a spray bottle mixed with water and sprayed it on all over. Then I let it set for about 10 minutes and blew it into the hair. Then, I rinsed it out the next morning, went about brushing.. then sprayed it back on and blew it in again. My steer didn't have much hair but what he had was nice. :lol:

jacobychild":amac3wx5 said:
Ryan":amac3wx5 said:
cowboy13":amac3wx5 said:

Infusium 23 is a much better condition ner, the brown bottle.

Rinsing everyday is important, but if that can not be accomplished then rinsing 1 to 2 times a week would work, you really do need to work that hair to get it trained.

The musts to have for me would be
1. Rice Root Brush
2. Scotch Comb
3. Conditioner (Spray in perferably.... Sullivans sells some or in a pinch we simply put a big squirt of conditioner any human type works in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket, fill the bucket up 1/2 way and dump down the middle of the back, take the rice root brush and work it in and leave it). Always brush forward toward the head at a angle I do it at a 45 degree angle, the kids do their own thing, dosent matter to me since it is not my project. Just this weekend I actually got some oil in a aresol bottle, it is at the end of the shampoo/conditioner isle at walmart near the head and shoulders blue and silver can, also pink works also to add some moisture to the hair and it is cheap if bought at walmart (same area). make sure the calf is clean and dry and spray in.

4. Blower. Blow the same way you brush.

When you get a couple mo. out from the show then my kids rinse 2 to 3 times a day to work and train the hair.

good luck and let us know if you need any more help. :D

We NEVER put soap on the animals at home. Rinse and/or use a spray bottle with conditioner. Used to use Mane & Tail conditioner (doesn't need to be rinsed out). Now we put small amount of EQ in spray bottle of water. Hair is EXCELLENT!
Brush, brush, brush. That's the key. You have lots of time to get hair coat in shape for Oct. Two weeks of AM & PM brushing with water & conditioner, occasional rinsing - should be good to go.
Remember SOAP DRIES the hair & skin - even Clear Choice (but that is a good soap). Use sparingly. We now use EQ & love it.
You can find used equipment thru Sullivan.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
We NEVER put soap on the animals at home. Rinse and/or use a spray bottle with conditioner. Used to use Mane & Tail conditioner (doesn't need to be rinsed out). Now we put small amount of EQ in spray bottle of water. Hair is EXCELLENT!

Do you rinse it out or leave it in? We have the conditioner my husband bought with the EQ. It comes in a spray bottle.

If you are referring to the Ready 2 Show - I have a bottle but never used it. Think it is equal to a sheen product - not sure.
I am using the EQ Body Wash in my daily spray - I don't rinse out. The Body wash is a soil release AND conditioner. After you completely wash & rinse your animal, you can re-foam them and just brush it in & leave it - no rinsing - for a conditioner. So I decided to put it in my daily spray bottle & it works great. Had many people comment on the shine & feel of their hair before we even washed them at the fair.
Another EQ product - Fly Sheet - isn't worth the bottle it's packaged in - except it makes your animals smell pretty - may repell for a short time.