tips for new field

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
I am preparing a new 8-10 acre field. I am having stups, brush, old trees removed and this will basically be a field with no growth. I was wondering what to plant being so late in the year. Not to mention the drought. Is it to late to sprig bermuda or am I better off just over broadcasting bermuda. I know it is late in the year so any recomendations are welcome
PLEASE RAIN

If it were me with no rain in sight, I would do rye then if it doesn't rain, you aren't out a lot of money. But, were in two different parts of the country though. I pray you guys get rain soon. About a month ago were down to only two weeks of grazing left and we got a "very very small" taste of what you guys are going through, just enough ran to get us by, were getting pretty dry again here.

plbcattle":2vkmpb1l said:
Not to mention the drought. Is it to late to sprig bermuda or am I better off just over broadcasting bermuda. I know it is late in the year so any recomendations are welcome
PLEASE RAIN

You mean you've changed your mind since Nov. 2004? I hope that your wish this time comes true also, S.W. Arkansas is pretty dry and could use some rain ourselves.

"if i haven't said this before I HATE MUD AND RAIN. I don't care if it EVER rains again. I had a heifer that is still in bad shape get stuck up to her belly in quicksand mud. it took 3 people 2 shovels, 1 medium and 1 very large tractor,1 kawasaki mule,1 ford f-250 pick up and 3 hours to get her out. After everything i just mentioned got stuck exept for the very large john deere, I have had it with mud and rain. have any of you ever had a cow get stuck in the mud, what an experience."

;-)

boy, how things change. Maybe just space the rain out instead of 40 inches in 2 monthes. I guess if it wasn;t one thing we cow farmers would have something else to complain about. The only risk I stand of getting anything stuck now is if it bogs down with dust.

Latest posts