Tip for Killing Wasps

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
We have a wasp problem. Other day a guy suggested throwing a cup of water mixed with a few drops of dish washing detergent on the nest. I killed em like gas. Try this it really works.

As a general rule insects breath out of various places on their bodies. The detergent acts by coating their body and sufficating them. It will work on just about any insect.

Starting ether doesn't kill them but it sure is entertaining to watch them after they've been sprayed. It really upsets rat snakes though and will drive them out of the building.

dun

And for the ladies - hairspray also works well on insects.

Get a bucket and put a squirt of dish soap and run the water to make a bunch of bubbles. You can then toss the water a safe distance from the nest. The soaps drops them.

jw":3nspucer said:
As a general rule insects breath out of various places on their bodies. The detergent acts by coating their body and sufficating them. It will work on just about any insect.

All right I have to ask if you could describe some of the various places insects breath?

I just kinda figured they had a mouth and propably some itty bitty lungs

denoginnizer":13jttgfa said:
jw":13jttgfa said:

All right I have to ask if you could describe some of the various places insects breath?

I just kinda figured they had a mouth and propably some itty bitty lungs
Insects breathe from the Thorax portion of their body.

i bathe my dogs with dawn dishwashing soap and you can see the fleas falling off dead in the water.

Jogeephus":2r6j4bg8 said:
We have a wasp problem. Other day a guy suggested throwing a cup of water mixed with a few drops of dish washing detergent on the nest. I killed em like gas. Try this it really works.

I'm gona try it. Beat using desiel fuel if it works. How much should you mix to water?

Wewild":1de5iv6l said:
Jogeephus":1de5iv6l said:

I'm gona try it. Beat using desiel fuel if it works. How much should you mix to water?

Just a few drops in a cup will do. Just enough to make some suds. It amazed me! Of course I'm fascinated by drying paint too :roll:

my mom uses 409 to kill any bugs she wants to get rid of. i have used it too, it seems to work, personly i like to use the wasp spray that shoots about 20 feet, on wasps nests and spiders. if ya do get stung by wasps or bees, heck even fire ants, i put amonioa on a cotton ball and hold it on the sting/bite and it supposed to nutralize the venom/poison stuff. i know in a personal way that it does work. i keep a little amber prescription type bottle with amonia and cotton balls in all of our trucks, the wasps seem to really like my husband, he has changed after shave, and deodorant, and they can still pick him out of a crowd, maybe its cuz he is so much taller than me and is more convienant. :shock:

samm

Jogeephus":wm5b9ndh said:

I believe I will pass as my aim is not that good. :lol: I prefer the instant knock-down cans of Raid that can be swept from side to side to ensure I hit them! Having been chased by angry wasp's before, it's not something I care to repeat - thank you very much.

msscamp":72rekgfd said:
Jogeephus":72rekgfd said:

I believe I will pass as my aim is not that good. :lol: I prefer the instant knock-down cans of Raid that can be swept from side to side to ensure I hit them! Having been chased by angry wasp's before, it's not something I care to repeat - thank you very much.

The directions on the wasp/hornet spray lie!

I use a whole can of spray on the nest and the ones dive bombing me once I hit the nest. And the ones left writhing on the ground...harumph!

Alice

Alice":1q910zuw said:
msscamp":1q910zuw said:
Jogeephus":1q910zuw said:

The directions on the wasp/hornet spray lie!

I use a whole can of spray on the nest and the ones dive bombing me once I hit the nest. And the ones left writhing on the ground...harumph!

Alice

I'm not going to argue with you on the majority of them, but one or two do have instant knock-down - I just wish I could remember the brand name of them. :oops: Those lies are exactly how I ended up being chased by angry wasps! :shock:

What happened to giving the kids wall lath or yard sticks and letting them thin the wasps out. Teachs speed, coordination, team work and the "thunk" when you smack one out of the sky is satisfying. For a 7-10 yr old this is a exciting way to spend the day. Tell the kids to use the water hose and not rocks to stir'em up.

dj":52zrb41h said:
What happened to giving the kids wall lath or yard sticks and letting them thin the wasps out. Teachs speed, coordination, team work and the "thunk" when you smack one out of the sky is satisfying. For a 7-10 yr old this is a exciting way to spend the day. Tell the kids to use the water hose and not rocks to stir'em up.

:lol: :lol:

Latest posts