Tine conditioners

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
Anyone here have a tine conditioner on their mower instead of rollers? I've never used one but I see some cropping up here and there. Heard they're hard on alfalfa but wondering how they affect drydown on fescue/orchardgrass and clover?

cfpinz

cfpinz":18rhe1eb said:
Anyone here have a tine conditioner on their mower instead of rollers? I've never used one but I see some cropping up here and there. Heard they're hard on alfalfa but wondering how they affect drydown on fescue/orchardgrass and clover?

cfpinz
They work good on Johnsongrass, sudan, etc. After all, on that type of stuff all you really need to do is crack the stem so that it will dry faster.

Don't imagine it would work well on the smaller stem stuff that is more intolerable to leaf shatter.

Just replaced the rollers in a JD Moco cutter crimper. The tines have got to be much cheaper.

I got one on my mower. It works better on fine stemmed grasses like bermuda than a roller conditioner but the reverse is true when you begin cutting larger stemmed grasses like millet etc.

MikeC":r6wwgzv0 said:
Just replaced the rollers in a JD Moco cutter crimper. The tines have got to be much cheaper.

The rubber rollers on my Vermeer discbine went out a couple years back. It was 6 or 8 years old at the time and the rubber rollers were no longer available. Vermeer split the bill with me to install the new steel rollers, that impressed me. I like the steel rollers much better.

My father is talking about replacing his old 492 NH with a discbine and is looking into the impellers, that's why I asked.

cfpinz