Time to wean?

Help Support CattleToday:

S.R.R.

Reaction score
I have used two weeks as a guide for how long to keep my calves away from their mamas when weaning. There have been a time or two that after the calves were put back out with the herd a calf will go back to sucking. Is two weeks a good average? What length of time do you use? Do you find it takes longer to wean off a 5 month old compared to a 8 month old?

We keep the retained heifers away form the cows for 6-8 weeks, whichever is most conveniant

dun

When we wean, the calves are separated from the cows until we turn out the next spring. That way they don't have to compete with the mature cows for feed, and we can grain them a bit for better growth over the winter.

We wean the heifers and keep them separate from the cows until they are bred and getting close to calving. Same reason as stated above.. so they can be given extra care, and to make sure they don't go back to the dams.

randiliana":15b465p3 said:
When we wean, the calves are separated from the cows until we turn out the next spring. That way they don't have to compete with the mature cows for feed, and we can grain them a bit for better growth over the winter.

We do the same.

Weanlings can NOT compete with older cows for hay and grain.
The older cows will ALWAYS get the food first and eat most of it, leaving the weanling with nothing to sustain themselves.
Add the stress of the "pecking order" and the head butting and its a wonder if weanlings can gain anything in that kind of environment.

Separate your weanlings and your older cows. The weanlings will do better and grow better with less stress.

AngusLimoX":157qtkzq said:
I do the same as randiliana and others, but I guess it makes me curious as to what you use as a system or is this something you are trying?

I run a cow/calf operation like a lot of folks. F1 cows bred to terminal sires with calves weaned, preconditioned and sold. I also still have some customers from when I raised straight Highlands. They want grass finished beef. So depending on the number of orders I will pick out some calves after weaning to put back out on grass with the rest of the herd. These calves will at times go back to the tit. Not often enough to change my whole process but enough to make me wonder if I should keep them penned up another week or two.

I should add that replacement heifers are kept in another pasture with a higher Legume content to give them that extra boost. They do not get much other special treatment maybe a protien tub their first winter.

S.R.R.":3g09wvdt said:
I have used two weeks as a guide for how long to keep my calves away from their mamas when weaning. There have been a time or two that after the calves were put back out with the herd a calf will go back to sucking. Is two weeks a good average? What length of time do you use? Do you find it takes longer to wean off a 5 month old compared to a 8 month old?

When I do it I keep them off a couple to three weeks and they go back out in different pastures momma will be in the back pasture and keeper in the front. They are seperated by a couple of pastures for months.
I have a couple that went back to momma even then some Brimmer influence never break the free lunch program.

~

Some Simmentals don't break the free lunch program either. :D

Weaned one heifer 3 times.

She observed the resident Thoroughbred jump the fences and went to doing it as well.
We are putting a saddle on her this summer and going foxhunting.

The neighbor weans for 4-6 weeks and puts his all back in together again.

We keep them apart for at least six weeks. Had a few get right back on the teat and had to split them again for a few more weeks.
Tried the nose clamp devices...doesn't take long for the calf to learn to turn it's head sideways to suck.

Keep mine seperated for minimum 8 weeks and try to shoot for three months. I've only had one to go back to nursing and I'm dealing with her now.

TheBullLady":3s9gtv4w said:
We wean the heifers and keep them separate from the cows until they are bred and getting close to calving. Same reason as stated above.. so they can be given extra care, and to make sure they don't go back to the dams.

We do the same except we keep them separate until after they've had their first calf. Like to keep calving heifers close to the working pens "just in case".

Norris

We wean replacement heifers for 6-8 weeks and then move them to another pasture thats closer to the house. The first winter they get just a little extra special treatment ( just a taste of grain every day to make them easy to catch ) They stay there until they've had their first calf and have bred back, then they're moved back into the older cow herd. I've only seen one that didn't stay weaned ( 1/2 brahma) we didn't even try to wean her again, she grew wheels.

This seems to work for my brother and me. Having the heifers in a different pasture allows us to keep a close eye on them and we "weed out" any that doesn't like to pen or that are "high headed" or maybe has a bad attitude.

;-)

randiliana":1schmohd said:
We do the same thing. When they are bred & passed over, they go out on grass with main cowherd.
In fall, we again seperate the coming 2 & 3 year olds & feed hay in different winter lot.

Looks like I have been off by a few weeks for years now! :shock: Just goes to prove I am still learning. :cboy:

S.R.R.":44ut6x0q said:
[ They want grass finished beef. So depending on the number of orders I will pick out some calves after weaning to put back out on grass with the rest of the herd. These calves will at times go back to the tit.

Got ya now.

If I put the weanlings back in before the next calf is at their side it would be never ending trouble! :lol:

We try to foster close maternal relationships in the herd with holistic environmentally beneficial management practices at the core of our regime.
( GAG :lol: ).

I know all about your "holistic regime" now! ;-) A happy cow is a good cow eh? :) :)

Latest posts