Time for a new bull

Help Support CattleToday:

mnbryant2001

Reaction score
Replacing my Charolais with Angus this year. I'm new to buying a bull. I don't know any numbers yet. The owner wasn't home but invited me to go look. Sorry for the poor pic. I took it for the tag. Wish I had thought of posting then. He is 14 months. He isn't as muscled as the 14 month "New Bull" post here I looked at. A little thinner across the rear. Not a lot of difference otherwise. I didn't know how muscled they should be at that age. Or after a hard Mississippi winter.

http://ranchers.net/photopost/showphoto ... puser/5839

His condition is fine. Don't stop feeding him right when you get him home. At that age he needs good groceries till turnout. Did they do a BSE on him?

I don't know all the specifics yet in his health checks. I know I'll have to take his him a soundness test. The seller will pay though. It will be Sunday before we can get into the details. He is working 6 days a week at his off farm job at the moment.

Thanks for the thoughts on him. I've only seen steers at this age. And his slightly femine appearance was a concern since I have no real idea when he should loose the calf look.

And I don't have any other photos. Two are for sake. I snapped this only to remember the number.

Each breed is different on how muscled or developed, along with different individual bulls. Here is a pic of one of our bulls, at 12 months of age (just taken last month).

IMG_2451_s.jpg

A lot depends on how they are fed. Since we sell bulls, we feed them to sell. Our bulls are developed on 1.5 to 2% of their body weight being fed Bull Ration (with ruminsen) and free choice hay (unless we have grass). They are kept on pasture and only fed hay when we have no grass (November to March typically). The bull above is only on 10 pounds of Bull Ration because he is an easy keeper and we do not want him getting fat (he is already over 1200 pounds). He has been bred to two cows, and both have passed over at least one cycle all ready.

Here is another shot of some fall bulls we raised and sold. ALL of the bulls in these two photos were under a year (October and November born, the pic was taken in September).
fall_bulls_0913_2.jpg

fall_bulls_0913_4.jpg

Once again, these bulls were developed slowly. We only raise and sell around 8 to 10 bulls a year, but we make sure we try to raise them right by feeding them to develop them. Our bulls are fertile by a year of age, and can be used on cows if someone so desires at that point of time.

mnbryant2001 said:
Replacing my Charolais with Angus this year. I'm new to buying a bull. I don't know any numbers yet. The owner wasn't home but invited me to go look. Sorry for the poor pic. I took it for the tag. Wish I had thought of posting then. He is 14 months. He isn't as muscled as the 14 month "New Bull" post here I looked at. A little thinner across the rear. Not a lot of difference otherwise. I didn't know how muscled they should be at that age. Or after a hard Mississippi winter.

IMG_1701.JPG