tigerstripes & brindles dilutor gene

Help Support CattleToday:

gertman

Reaction score
Evening,
Do tigerstripes and brindle colored cattle have the dilutor gene? The reason I ask is that I have 2 cows (one in the spring and one last month) that have had red calves sired by my registered black angus bull. I thought only Charolais, shorthorn, and some simmental had the dilutor gene.

gertman said:
Evening,
Do tigerstripes and brindle colored cattle have the dilutor gene? The reason I ask is that I have 2 cows (one in the spring and one last month) that have had red calves sired by my registered black angus bull. I thought only Charolais, shorthorn, and some simmental had the dilutor gene.
It's red on the bull side and red on the cow side. A other case of an Angus bull not being homozygous black.

kenny thomas said:
gertman said:
Evening,
It's red on the bull side and red on the cow side. A other case of an Angus bull not being homozygous black.

Bingo

gertman said:
So what you all are basically saying is my registered black angus is a red carrier.

Definitely. Nothing else is possible. But it's not rare for a registered black Angus to have a red gene. Most other breeds test bulls for being homozygous black but I have not seen it tested in Angus .

yup. red carrier. oughta be able to look at his pedigree at AAA site andfind a known red carrier back behind him.

For a really nice overview of inheritance of coat color & patterns, Double Helix Ranch (TX Longhorns) has as good as I've seen recently - a 5-part series, with nice color photos of most colors, shades, patterns

Latest posts