Tigerstripe

Help Support CattleToday:

peg4x4

Reaction score
What breeds make tigerstripe when mixed? Why,when there is no stripes on either breed?

peg4x4":3qj66716 said:
What breeds make tigerstripe when mixed? Why,when there is no stripes on either breed?

Hereford and Brahman generally make up Tigerstripe. Don't have a clue as to why they wind up as striped.

braunvieh bull on a black angus cow (carrying the red gene) will turn out tigerstriped.

braunvieh bull on hereford cow will also turn out tigerstriped.

ROB

Usually the Tigerstipe is an F-1 from a Brahman Sire and Hereford Dam, or the reverse of that. The Tiger Stiping comes from the Brahman wild type gene for caot color, it does not follow any genetic rules and can do many variations of coat color.

I use a Brahman Bull on Fullblood Limousin Cows and get a wide
range of colors, I like the fawn color the best, but we also get a darker smoke grey, and grey with dark red highlights, solid reds, both dark and light red. I am sure that the color patern is seen when you cross any of the two color cattle such as Hereford (bald face is dominant), and then the Simental with the white and tan pattern.

Thanks for the info-- Wonder if it's ressesive wild coloring?

Auburn_Ag":2vovspk1 said:
I saw some F-1 Tigerstripse Heifers bread to a Angus bull bring $1,550, this past weekend.
Let me guess, Deters hereford sale? I was there.they were nice. I wanted those black w/faced heifers. I just didnt have the extra hay to feed them.

oscar p":3l8fu98p said:
Auburn_Ag":3l8fu98p said:
I saw some F-1 Tigerstripse Heifers bread to a Angus bull bring $1,550, this past weekend.
Let me guess, Deters hereford sale? I was there.they were nice. I wanted those black w/faced heifers. I just didnt have the extra hay to feed them.

Yes I was there. If you saw a guy working in the back with a Auburn Cap that was me. The Deters have been long time friends of mine and I help them every year. Those heifers came from the Auburn area and were out of a Hereford bull and Brahman cows. If you didn't notice the tigerstipes were a little FAST. The baldies were really nice, they had one to calf friday night before the sale. There Hereford bulls avg between $3,900 and $4,000

ALACOWMAN":2b50jqha said:
ive seen stripes on brahman/angus or brangus cross type's. but they are usually called brindles. i always wondered why

I always heard brindle until I came to this forum. They are coded as BR for color

backhoeboogie":knmbo9gm said:
ALACOWMAN":knmbo9gm said:
ive seen stripes on brahman/angus or brangus cross type's. but they are usually called brindles. i always wondered why

I always heard brindle until I came to this forum. They are coded as BR for color
had to get off for a minute..... i always wondered why simmental with the simular color and pattern dont throw stripes like the herf when crossed with brahman

ALACOWMAN":10f1nxip said:
backhoeboogie":10f1nxip said:
ALACOWMAN":10f1nxip said:

had to get off for a minute..... i always wondered why simmental with the simular color and pattern dont throw stripes like the herf when crossed with brahman

Dunno. Genes I assume. It is all strange and mysterious. Cross to get a baldy and it takes on the black genes, yet it can be marked in white just like a hereford - black over red but white stays as is. Never made sense to me - other than knowing it from having seen it over and over.

backhoeboogie":sr5lw6xz said:

Old school. Hobby ranchers change everything.

Latest posts