Tiger stripes anyone?

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Today was the grand opening of a cattle auction barn that only 20 minutes from my dad's house. He had some real nice fancy brangus/angus bred heifers, and to my amazement, they went (on average) for $100 to $200 less than the same bred heifer tigerstripe.

Kind of weird to see tigerstripes start out 100 or 200 higher than nice brangus. The tigers were of good quality, BIMHO, weren't as nice (body condition) as the black.

At the auction in Batone Rouge the opposite is true. Black always sells better.

So I guess now people are going to start buying brahman heifers and put with a hereford bull or hereford heifers with a brahman bull?????

Who knows???

Go to Sealy Tx at there F-1 sale they bring big bucks.
Nothing beats the cross for a momma cow, plus you can manage your herd to market conditions for your area.

I would never have a black herd as you have no options.
With the F-1 and a Hereford bull you have red baldies a Black bull gives Black baldies and with a Char high yellow baldies.

Not all cattlemen are blinded by black hide.

Caustic Burno":5au1wley said:

The first two lots of cattle were brangus bred heifers followed by tigerstripe bred heifers. After they went through, I walked back across the catwalk to look at the rest of the cattle coming up. It was weird: black cows, black heifers, black steers. Black as far as you could see. It used to not be that way.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to call a buddy of mine who stayed through the whole auction to see if the calves followed the same as the heifers or not.

the guy raising the tigers may have made good money on the heifer's but he lost on the steers. might have averaged out for him but it's about cheaper to buy tiger replacemant than raise them. thats what's make em so dam high.

From looking over the calves from the catwalk here, at least 50% of the cattle were white influenced with very few reds.

Lots of yellows, whites, and smokies. The rest blacks and herf x black.

At last spring's Sealy F1 sale I was surprised to see the top dollars went to the brahman x angus over the brahman x hereford. All the studies I've seen show the brahman x hereford to exhibit the most hybrid vigor. Is guess it's the black hide prejudice again.

Latest posts