Tick Problems in Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

TN Cattle Man

Reaction score
Just read this article and was wondering if anyone here on the boards is effected by this?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/1-million-acres-quarantined-in-south-texas-counties-due-to-tick-infestation/ar-AAFevkW?fbclid=IwAR3Uoo_yf0rONrVy4AGqx5oEhLUULOkQ6yJTU5-ly-7-ovmSn3EocmiksNA

We have ticks pretty bad here in Tennessee, but have never heard of anything like this...

Yes... doesn't sound like anything I would want to deal with. Apparently these ticks originated down in Mexico and are making their way across the border...

"The ticks, which come from Mexico, carry an organism that causes a blood disease. It often is fatal to cattle that have no acquired immunity. There is no vaccination or approved treatment for infected cattle".

Hope they get something figured out soon!

"Yes... doesn't sound like anything I would want to deal with. Apparently these ticks originated down in Mexico and are making their way across the border..."

They have only been around in Texas since 1890. Kinda late to build the wall.

Back then, there was more rain, and Falcon Lake was full most of the time, so there wasn't as much cover for deer," he said. "But beginning in the '80s, the water level dropped, allowing a lot of cover to grow and there are many more deer around the lake."

Thus far, no effective methods to treat ticks on deer has been found. Until that is dealt with, he said, things won't get better.

"Once we started getting more deer, the tick outbreak got worse, and it hasn't improved since."

This tick and the blood parasite it ccarries were present in the USA years ago, but diligent dipping and spraying pushed it south of the border.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.aphis.usda.gov/publications/animal_health/bro-cft-treatment-options.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwj814OzzevjAhUJi6wKHWvrCnsQFjAAegQIBRAC&usg=AOvVaw231MAm9bQLH1OVlZkztksS

When I was a kid I would go hunting then come back home and pick ticks forever it seemed. I honestly don't think I have seen a tick anywhere let alone had one on me in 20 years.

TexasBred said:
When I was a kid I would go hunting then come back home and pick ticks forever it seemed. I honestly don't think I have seen a tick anywhere let alone had one on me in 20 years.

Amen brother.
If there is a positive to fire ants tick eradication is it. Red bugs are gone as well.

I'm not sure what the deal was. But about 15 years ago I was dove hunting a field close to Brenham city limits. I shot a couple dove, went to go pick them up and when I set back down my legs were moving. I was looaaadddeed with ticks. I walked back to my truck, threw my beer cooler on back, stripped down to my boxers and drove home. Told the rest of the boys see ya around haha. Not for me

They must have all moved to Nacogdoches. I had a bum calf in May....worked with him for two weeks to teach him to nurse...sittin' in the grass multiple times a day under his mom with him led to a record number of new chigger bites every day.
Also pulling ticks off my husband who walks the dogs in the woods each day is another evening pasttime around here.....and we do have fire ants as well!

If there was any thing that I hated - was chiggers. When we lived in Kansas, I would be in & out of the shower in-between being outdoors. Used to get powdered sulfa from the drug store & put it in a sock. Would "dust" myself everytime I went out & knew I wasn't jumping right into the shower after.
Took me the longest time to be "comfortable" sitting on the ground out here - or walking thru tall grass. NO CHIGGERS!!!

hdrockn said:
They must have all moved to Nacogdoches. I had a bum calf in May....worked with him for two weeks to teach him to nurse...sittin' in the grass multiple times a day under his mom with him led to a record number of new chigger bites every day.
Also pulling ticks off my husband who walks the dogs in the woods each day is another evening pasttime around here.....and we do have fire ants as well!

That was same excuse we used to use in younger days. Checking for ticks was fun.

Caustic Burno said:
That was same excuse we used to use in younger days. Checking for ticks was fun.

Husband still dreams about that........not nearly as much fun as it used to be...... :hide:

Hmm. I'd never heard that postulated, Steve - but it doesn't fit the 'blame the white American (male)' narrative that's been so pervasive in education and popular culture for the past 50 years or so.
Here's an article that does postulate CFT/babesiosis and/or anthrax as very major potential players in decimation of the bison numbers in the 1800s... an interesting read:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0190052818300087

Latest posts