Thrown

Help Support CattleToday:

ArrowHBrand

Reaction score
I've been bucked off, thrown off, and jumped off of horses but this last time really hurt! I have a pair of horses I'm training and the half Arab was being frisky the other night. I caught him, groomed him, saddled him, and got on. The first time he threw me I landed like I was sliding into second base, no big deal. The second time he threw me I landed on my feet, again no big deal. The last time I jumped off because he was heading full bore towards a pair of 12' metal gates. I hit the ground hard and slid into the bottom of the gates. I was looking up at the sky wondering why my left arm wouldn't work. I didn't break anything, but jammed my left shoulder pretty good and found I was bleeding on my right elbow because it was dripping out of the cuff of my shirt. Dang horses!

you have a death wish ? might want to work in a little smaller area , had a young arab run me about 7 years ago and toss me head first into an 8x8 post , shoulders took the damage but about an inch one way or the other it would've been my head. I do most of the work on the ground first now , too old for all the drama.
Good luck and be safe

There are too many good horses available cheap to ride that kind. Any horse that bucks hard enough to get me off three times in the same day is on his way to dog food. Good horses aren't cheap but a lot cheaper than hospital bills.

Dave":lhuntpwd said:
There are too many good horses available cheap to ride that kind. Any horse that bucks hard enough to get me off three times in the same day is on his way to dog food. Good horses aren't cheap but a lot cheaper than hospital bills.

AMEN! Told the butcher who was out to do a farm kill on a steer last week, "the nags got one more chance and if she screws it up the next time you come out you can toss her fat butt on the trailer too". I've heard horse meat is sweet.

MistyMorning":2akvdrj9 said:
"the nags got one more chance and if she screws it up the next time you come out you can toss her fat butt on the trailer too".
Oh "blah blah". You've said that very same thing about me more than once, and I still manage to weasle an invite. :nod:

I agree on the bucking thing. My rodeo days are LONG over. If I went down now, someone better just bring in a broom to sweep up the peices. What you describe doesn't sound like its worth the risk you are taking.

Dave":4cynpuxs said:

Im training these two for a woman in South Dakota, no way would I own an Arab or any type of Arab cross. I rode that Arab cross today with no problems though and two other geldings in training. I dont know what his problem was that night, but I full movement again but straight out from my body to the side. If it doesn't get better this next week may have to suck it up and go see Doc. I will never train someone elses horses again! I'll just stick to buying 2 year olds to train, lesson learned, too bad it was learned the hard way!

Just thought id say with Arabs my favorite facilities are a round pen and an open field or the training track when they buck me of I run them in the pen until they have a good sweat build up then out to the track so far I've been lucky and suede leather seats :lol2: . Once an Arab is broke you cant find a better horse, though I will admit there is some backyard junk out there.

ArrowHBrand":2vf7h2fu said:
Dave":2vf7h2fu said:

Im training these two for a woman in South Dakota, no way would I own an Arab or any type of Arab cross. I rode that Arab cross today with no problems though and two other geldings in training. I dont know what his problem was that night, but I full movement again but straight out from my body to the side. If it doesn't get better this next week may have to suck it up and go see Doc. I will never train someone elses horses again! I'll just stick to buying 2 year olds to train, lesson learned, too bad it was learned the hard way!
do she know you'r jumping off of em???

alacattleman":21wn3c48 said:
ArrowHBrand":21wn3c48 said:

Excellent point! Be sure and tell her, that is something she should know.

MistyMorning":cw4h1nr4 said:
alacattleman":cw4h1nr4 said:
ArrowHBrand":cw4h1nr4 said:

Excellent point! Be sure and tell her, that is something she should know.
well i wouldnt tell her,, but if i found out they were doing it id have too take em else where
:cowboy:

Had a little mishap myself about a month ago. We were getting ready to ride and my bay and white gelding was saddled and I had ridden him around the yard for a few minutes. Got off to help my granddaughter finish her horse. When I went to mount again a bee or wasp must have stung my bay, only had my left foot in the stirrup, went to put my right foot back down to regain balance, stepped in a pile of horse dung, slipped, spooked him worse, he jumped and landed on my right ankle, shattering it. I've been riding for about 40 years and this is the first major hurt I've had. Won't be able to ride now for another 3 months.

Latest posts