Throwing yourself under the bus

Help Support CattleToday:

ibetyamissedme

Reaction score
Minnesotas number 1 hog producing county.
I'm curious why do so many of you throw yourself under the bus? Why on Earth would anyone belittle the very product they produce?

If someone without any concept of beef, googled beef to learn more about the product they eat, and they came across this particular website, and searched for information about beef as a principal food item. They would leave with the impression based solely on comments by beef producers that beef unless bought directly from them, isn't worth buying and instead they would buy chicken. Why? because chicken producers don't throw themselves under the bus. They promote the product produced not discredit it as being awful just because their neighbor raised it.

The same thing goes on with hogs and chickens. The major difference is in the processing for all three. Although completely free ranged chickens are a totally different beast than commercial chickens.
Its not in the raising that there is a quality difference-- but most freezer beef is dry aged and hung for 1-3 wks. that is what makes it so much better. And have less moisture.
Store bought beef is not dry aged while hanging. And they are allowed to add back liquid(too much liquid to get a good brown crust going),
Also there is an advantage of having the hamburger coming from only one animal(cuts down on mixing in contaminates), Also the area is cleaned between animals cutting down on cross spreading.
Smaller processor care for their product more, their reputation depends on it. Also its harder to loose track for whats going on in a smaller system.

Does that mean that commercial beef is bad-- NO
Is freezer beef better-- YES

Can the whole system go to dry aging beef? Actually with the cut down on processing there is extra capacity and a need to make more money, so that may start happening more commercially. The high end carcasses are already being at least hung and aged, with some being dry aged. Doing that slows down the flow, but for prime carcasses they can make back the extra costs.

Most chicken people are just "Workin for the man". There is no benefit to them telling it like it is. Most cattle producers don't take to kindly to steppin and fetchen. When you do it your way, you think your way is right.

Bigfoot":12qf7361 said:
Most chicken people are just "Workin for the man". There is no benefit to them telling it like it is. Most cattle producers don't take to kindly to steppin and fetchen. When you do it your way, you think your way is right.
So if they are just working for the man and have nothing invested in the product, why not tell everyone their opinion about the quality of the product? They just don't, I have never heard a chicken or hog producer say store bought chicken or pork is not worth eating. They are smart enough to not throw themselves under the bus, they spend enough time trying to scramble out from under the bus from the general public as it is.

ibetyamissedme":3h7zdri7 said:
I'm curious why do so many of you throw yourself under the bus? Why on Earth would anyone belittle the very product they produce?

If someone without any concept of beef, googled beef to learn more about the product they eat, and they came across this particular website, and searched for information about beef as a principal food item. They would leave with the impression based solely on comments by beef producers that beef unless bought directly from them, isn't worth buying and instead they would buy chicken. Why? because chicken producers don't throw themselves under the bus. They promote the product produced not discredit it as being awful just because their neighbor raised it.

LOL!

Well said

Bez

ibetyamissedme":37y9t0b4 said:
Bigfoot":37y9t0b4 said:
So if they are just working for the man and have nothing invested in the product, why not tell everyone their opinion about the quality of the product? They just don't, I have never heard a chicken or hog producer say store bought chicken or pork is not worth eating. They are smart enough to not throw themselves under the bus, they spend enough time trying to scramble out from under the bus from the general public as it is.

Not sure who you are reincarnated from? When the chickens are dropped off at your barn, and raised under a contract, and you just feed them, and hope they don't die, you don't get real excited about the product. When you put time, and effort in:breeding, selecting, and handeling. You get a since of ownership. You kinda resent when the end product is watered down. Store bought beef could be better. They get in too big of a hurray to put it on the shelf.

How can hogs and chickens even be compared to cattle? It's apples and oranges. Find someone selling their "free range" chickens or hogs and ask if they think their product is better than can be bought in the store. They'll say yes.
The processes are so different I can't help but wonder why this was even asked, almost as if it's simply a way to start an argument?

Bigfoot":13uo2veo said:
ibetyamissedme":13uo2veo said:
Bigfoot":13uo2veo said:

Not sure who you are reincarnated from? When the chickens are dropped off at your barn, and raised under a contract, and you just feed them, and hope they don't die, you don't get real excited about the product. When you put time, and effort in:breeding, selecting, and handeling. You get a since of ownership. You kinda resent when the end product is watered down. Store bought beef could be better. They get in too big of a hurray to put it on the shelf.
those big bonus checks kinda takes the edge off....

M.Magis":laetoeta said:
How can hogs and chickens even be compared to cattle? It's apples and oranges. Find someone selling their "free range" chickens or hogs and ask if they think their product is better than can be bought in the store. They'll say yes.
The processes are so different I can't help but wonder why this was even asked, almost as if it's simply a way to start an argument?
:cowboy:

ALACOWMAN":3b89kkhs said:
M.Magis":3b89kkhs said:
:cowboy:

:nod:

Yougottabeshittinme. Must be getting cold up north and inbred is back to having time on his hands to argue anything and everything with anyone and everyone. There's always a pattern to his post. Usually terminating around January or February when it's really cold and he can't leave his house hardly making him a grumpy old man who hates everyone.

I got you figured out inbred.

I can see where he's coming from. Look at all the breed pimps and whores on this site. But the truth be know nothing beats home raised anything. Beef, chickens, pigs or tomatoes, corn and beans can't be beat, when you grow them yourself.

This site is suposed to be talk amongst ourselves, not the unified front to promote beef. I really doubt that people who are highly concerned over adding beef to their diet are that concerned over our chat here.
I think that most of the negative comments about peoples' cattle on here are directed in a helpful manner so as to help people learn to produce higher quality animals. That to me says that we as producers care about putting out a quality product and I feel that if anyone cared enough to seek us out there are plenty of examples of that.

And no, I haven't missed you at all. ;-)

CP is right that this ain't a site set up by someone like the Beef Check Off to tell the world how happy pappy we all are. We are here to talk cattle, and what ever else, and anyone can post. If you don't like negative comments then don't post, no one will ever know what you have, and will never post anything about your cattle, and you will be in happy pappy land forever!

Oh, and I don't like Herefords, and I do like solid colored cattle.
Hope no one from the general public sees that, they might not go out, and buy that Hereford bull they have always wanted!

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

sim.-ang.king":2gcxgvur said:
CP is right that this ain't a site set up by someone like the Beef Check Off to tell the world how happy pappy we all are. We are here to talk cattle, and what ever else, and anyone can post. If you don't like negative comments then don't post, no one will ever know what you have, and will never post anything about your cattle, and you will be in happy pappy land forever!

Oh, and I don't like Herefords, and I do like solid colored cattle.
Hope no one from the general public sees that, they might not go out, and buy that Hereford bull they have always wanted!

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
The uneducated city folks about beef don't care what breed what is, the only thing they care is their beef is good, quality tasty and safe to eat. After reading what the beef producers post at this website they will undoubtedly be buying chicken or pork. If you don't believe me, use the search function and read what you as beef producers have said about the very product you put forth. Post have ranged from that stuff isn't fit to eat, it is unrecognizable, I would never beef from a store that stuff is terrible, you can't trust that beef in a store. The list goes on and on and on, only one time have I ever read a a postive comment about the beef that is available to be purchased by 93% of Americans. If your not throwing yourselves under the bus, you sure as hell are shooting the stools out from under one another.

Now you've gone and done it. Look at all those negative search buzz words all in one post, and on top of that you just told everyone they can search this site. :secret:

He11, might as well sell out. I can hear the price dropping.

only one time have I ever read a a postive comment about the beef that is available to be purchased by 93% of Americans

Who said something good about foreign beef? We'll kick his @$$.

And I have missed you sweet cheeks. Maybe you can put on that skin tight leather suit of yours, a police hat and then you can pretend to write all these bad, bad, bad posters tickets. Oh, call me. ;-)

ibetyamissedme":3632srm8 said:
The uneducated city folks about beef don't care what breed what is, the only thing they care is their beef is good, quality tasty and safe to eat. After reading what the beef producers post at this website they will undoubtedly be buying chicken or pork. If you don't believe me, use the search function and read what you as beef producers have said about the very product you put forth. Post have ranged from that stuff isn't fit to eat, it is unrecognizable, I would never beef from a store that stuff is terrible, you can't trust that beef in a store. The list goes on and on and on, only one time have I ever read a a postive comment about the beef that is available to be purchased by 93% of Americans. If your not throwing yourselves under the bus, you sure as be nice are shooting the stools out from under one another.

Possibly....but then again...we're all just a bunch of uncouth, hick farmers who are dumb enough to eat a lot of red meat...so I doubt that our opinions of home grown, aged beef vs. grocery store beef carries much weight anyway. After all, it doesn't seem to have put much of a dent in the tomato market. I'm pretty sure they're still selling boatloads of those in grocery stores.

I've only sort of missed you. As annoying as you can be much of the time, you do bring a certain bit of spice to the party :lol2:

M.Magis":2k080yis said:
I think you missed his whole point. He's talking about all the negativity he sees posted on "this" board about beef, especially store bought beef. Does make you wonder if you shouldn't just stop at the chicken box and fill up the buggy, then go to the pork aisle and fill up another but NO beef. Store bought it worthless. Guess it depends on how hungry you are and how much money you got to spend.