Throw Mom from the Train

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
Mom went into the hospital this week. She fractured the distal end of the tibia about 2 weeks ago. Her leg is still swollen and they cannot put a cast on it. They were concerned at the nursing home that she may have a blood clot. She is 90. They took her to the emergency room. First thing she says when I get there is, "well I am glad you finally came to see me." Everything I say she either rolls her eyes or sticks her tongue out at me. She keeps asking every nurse that comes if she can have a milk shake. Says it has been years since she had one. I call my older brother and ask him if they would hold it against me if I put a pillow over her head just like they say one of my aunts did to my Uncle. The doctor comes in and starts getting information from her. Half of what she is telling him is absolutely wrong and she does't remember the other half. When I start filling in the information and correcting her, she is behaving like a child. This is all actually funny and I can see the Doctor is amused. When the Doctor asks what to do in the case of life support and resuscitation, I tell him not to do anything. At that point, he just starts laughing.

chippie":3joagkwd said:
Sometimes you have to have a sense of humor. Give the woman a milkshake!
You're a good son inyati13

I told the Doctor she wants a milkshake but she has mild diabetes. The Doctor said, she is 90. Get her a milkshake!

It's alwasy a pleasent surprise when a doc is willing to work with the patient. Years ago a dear friend of mine had terminal cancer and they wouldn;t give her morphine because it was addictive.

I have an 88 year old MIL that is absorbed with her blood pressure reading.Takes it numerous time a day and self medicates herself as she sees fit. Everyone has been trying to tell her not to, but since she still lives alone there's no way to control her. Found out the other day that she wasn't using it correctly so it always read high. She's not having any of that and thinks we're all nuts.

Sorry you have to deal with the situation, but it's good you are there for her.

Extra thick. Lots of whipped cream. My favorite line from that movie--------"Owen you stupid poop!!!!!"

Sounds like you are doing a great job. Been there and know how easy it is to get frustrated (have to admit there were a few times i was looking around for a pillow also :shock: ) but remember there will be a day when she will be gone and you can look back and remember you did have patience and respect for your mother. After a particularly trying day I came home and told the wife IF I EVER LOOK LIKE I AM BECOMING MOM JUST SHOOT ME...... she looked at me and said "I'll go get the gun".

You are lucky. My MIL got paranoid and mean, there was no way to deal with or laugh that off. Enjoy her if shes in a good mood and play along with anything she has going on in her brain.

I have a friend that bought his Dad some dresses and stuff. Some days he thinks hes a woman. Friend says why fight it?

Just got a text message from my sister. She is the one who deals with the administration of mom's medical care (I would rather deal with mom than that). She said the Doctor told her mom "Is the HIGHLIGHT of his day." What is that, another way of saying he is about ready to euthanize her. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the giggles. Did you get her a milk shake? Poor woman wants a milk shake, .... bet she forgets you got her one after the fact!
Good you are looking at it with humor!

Best wishes on your caregiving, Inyati.
My grandparents all lived long enough to become difficult. I learned that they cussed (although I was taught not to cuss). I learned they had really politically incorrect opinions about people. (The fat home health nurse who my grandmother labeled "Boy, she's a big one, ain't she" in a loud voice and before the woman was out of the house. ) It is certainly true that we become children in old age. You have a good attitude and it seems to me you will be fine. Again, best wishes.

Latest posts