Thoughts on this feed mix?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
This mix was suggested to me for the lightweight calves we feed.

This is per ton:
Cracked corn = 640#
Soy hulls = 640#
Dist grain = 320#
Corn gluten = 320#

plus they are adding a 100# of a beef premix mineral

Sounds good, I would add more corn to the mix, seems like a bit more protein and mineral then necessary.

What breed of calves and has anyone figured the protien levels using actual numbers from the ingredients used?

Looks like its around (no hard figures with by products)

TDN- 77
FAt-3.5
CF- 7.4
CP-14.8
NeM-84
NeG-60

And thats based on 100lbs of mineral with no TDN/protein values.
I agree the mineral is most likely WAY too high.
Unless it has alot of filler.
With my mineral mix--- I'd just be using 10lbs not 100 lbs.

What are you feeding with it and in what ratio?

This would be feed to calves ranging from 250 to 600 lbs. The mineral is a beef premix they call it. What would I need to look at to make sure the mineral is not too high ?

One thought would be, when we were buying our Gluten throught a feed dealer they would mix up a mineral that was in a peleted form for whatever reason (I beleive it was so it would be better distributed and not cake in one area of the mixer that we used). Instead of the 4 ounces of a normal mineral that you would give per head it was set up at 1.5 pounds a day (Or whatever you told them).. In the end we found that the mineral from a different place that was formulated for our situation worked just fine (and was cheaper per head per day) but this could be what you are looking at...

Read the bag-- it will tell you the proper inclusion rate- then do a little math based on how much you intend to feed per day.

Latest posts