Thoughts on this bull calf (14 months old)

Help Support CattleToday:

tatts18

Reaction score
Ideas_Man_13072008_4.JPG

Ideas_Man_13072008_3.JPG

Hi all,

Please provide your comments/criticism of this young fella. He's 14 months old and was purchased as a calf with his mother when he was 5 1/2 months old.

Thanks!

The old bull is still better, when it comes to muscle. I think that he has lots of meat anyway, and from what I see he seems to be correct. Are there pics of him straight from the back?
And another issue; is he prolapsing a little bit? He was caught when going to the toilet, but anyway?

Bearing in mind at what stage he is in life he is pretty decent, no glaring faults, if you are really picky he could have had a little more of everything.

Nice looking bull with potential. If he were mine he'd be strickly a terminal bull and definately not used to cover heifers.

tatts18":2ubkoxmo said:
Backhoe, why do you say "definately not used to cover heifers"?

He looks to be a bit block shouldered to me. Not the type of bull I would use on heifers. Just my opinion and it means nothing to others.

TNMasterBeefProducer":11r3xqpp said:
backhoeboogie":11r3xqpp said:
tatts18":11r3xqpp said:
Backhoe, why do you say "definately not used to cover heifers"?

He looks to be a bit block shouldered to me. Not the type of bull I would use on heifers. Just my opinion and it means nothing to others.

I have to agree. They are fairly good bulls but Backhoe he is a little i guess you could say "coarse shouldered" that definitely could cause some calving problems. Especially on heifers.

Exactly. But that bull has potential for market calves. Let him cover some experienced ladies and see what you get, if he grows out to be what I think he'd be. I like his top line and I like his hip. I am only judging from pictures and not seeing his stride.

Thanks for the comments, people.

I'm keen to see how he grows out as well (I really want to skip forward about 2 years and have a look!!) and also the calves that he will throw as he has been genestar-tested at 8 stars out of 8 for tenderness. Personally, I'm not at all concerned about using him on heifers in future as this breed is known for throwing small calves (20-25 kgs).

Cheers!

tatts18":3ep4lpwx said:
Personally, I'm not at all concerned about using him on heifers in future as this breed is known for throwing small calves (20-25 kgs).

Cheers!

tatts I like the bull. I'd be proud to own him. But I still think a heifer would have an easier time with a 30 to 35 kg calf that didn't have block shoulders. The bull is only half the input. If you put him on a PB BM cow, you could very easiliy get an F1 50 kg plus calf.

I have seriously considered a bull of that breed to cross onto brangus cows once my numbers are up. I understand they are very well suited for extreme heat. I have also heard that sales pitch from people pushing cattle that are not suited for my environment, even right here in this forum.

If the number of my cattle were where I want them to be, he'd probably be perfect for my needs and I'd really like to give him a try.

And as I said earlier, it is simply my opinion. Someone else will tell you he is perfect in every aspect.

He'd deliver exactly what my freezer meat buying customers would want. He'd probably also trim the ear on my sale barn commercial calves.

The only thing I don't like about him is the shoulders. I hope you post more pics of him as he develops and I'd sincerely like to keep an eye on him just because of my interest in that breed.

Backhoe, the Breed Association is certainly quite adamant that Squaremeaters bulls produce lower BW calves when bred to other breeds. Time will tell .... our older bull has been covering commercial Brangus, Brahman, Red Angus and Droughtmaster heifers (some will be first calf heifers) for the past couple of months. When the calves are on the ground, I'll know for sure!

Not sure where the comment "they are very well suited for extreme heat" comes from. Ours have acclimatised moving north quite well but on hot days they can be seen standing in the creek!

I think I know the breeders where you purchased yours from. I know what you mean by going from near the coast where it would be a drier kind of heat in nsw & than going to a I guess more tropicial humid heat it would take time for them to adjust. I brought a QH from Gracemere (qld) & brought him down into nsw it took him almost 2 years to adjust to the heat difference poor fella we just gave him access to planty shade & water.
Anyway back to the subject yes they will produce a smaller bw calf when crossed with a different breed, however as with any breed there will always be one in the bunch that will either be smaller or larger than average. The calves are born small & hit the ground growing, these would be my ideal cross over any breed. I would like to use a square meater bull over some of our dairy cows at least we would get a better price for our calves than :frowns:

It would definitely be an interesting cross. I've been telling my husband for a while that we should pick up some dairy cows as we've heard that they make fantastic recip cows.

There are plenty of Squaremeater studs in NSW. You should have no problem picking up a quality bull when you are ready.

Latest posts