Thoughts on heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

mitchwi

Reaction score
This pic was taken on Dec 10, 2006. She is due to calve in May as a 2 yr old. She is Gelb/Angus, but I don't know the percentage. I am curious on thoughts likes/dislikes.

IMG_0684.JPG

Thanks.

Michele

michele i like the look of her really nice heifer good lookin head streight back.Just a good lookin girl.

rattler

Maybe it's the way she is standing, but something about her front shoulder seems funny. Maybe it is the hair colouring as well. Other than that, she will make a real nice momma.

mitchwi":2k8iuloq said:
cfpinz":2k8iuloq said:
She works for me.

Is that one of those plastic rings?

cfpinz

Yes it is.

How long have you had it and what do you think of it? I've seen some around and thought they looked a little flimsy but have never talked to anyone that has actually used them.

cfpinz

cfpinz":1s9t5peo said:
mitchwi":1s9t5peo said:
cfpinz":1s9t5peo said:
She works for me.

Is that one of those plastic rings?

cfpinz

Yes it is.

How long have you had it and what do you think of it? I've seen some around and thought they looked a little flimsy but have never talked to anyone that has actually used them.

cfpinz

I have talked about them before on previous threads... I LOVE them, we've had them for over 8 years. We have the 9' and we also put the "spacers" inbetween the "posts" of the original feeder. I would highly suggest this, as it prevents to a large % of the crawling into the feeder. They are light and yes, flexible. We usually pick them up on the bale spear to move them every time we feed. Using the 9' we are able to put (3) of our bales into each one, small rounds (4x5), put on end. The flexible part helps with this. We do have an occassional spacer break, usually at the bolt on point. So every fall before we start feeding hay, we do maintenance on them and replace any bent or missing carriage bolts. Before using the spacers we would have an occassional round ring bust, and those cost a bit to replace. Since using the spacers we have never had a ring break. I would never go back to steel hay rings.

Michele

now thats once nice looking heifer.id love to see what kind of a calf she throws.she will make a nice cow.

She has become one of my favorites, and I was hoping I wasn't seeing something that might not be there.

Thanks for replies!

Michele

mitchwi":1ixyu8hb said:
This pic was taken on Dec 10, 2006. She is due to calve in May as a 2 yr old. She is Gelb/Angus, but I don't know the percentage. I am curious on thoughts likes/dislikes.

IMG_0684.JPG

Thanks.

Michele
-Hi Michele-

This is a sturdy looking heifer, and should mature into a good brood cow. If she is as wide across the hindquarters as the one standing behind her, you have a very acceptable breeder.

DOC HARRIS

Very nice heifer. I question her legs, they look too straight to me (post legged) front & back. Other than that, she is good & thick looking - well balanced.
I'm interested in your plastic feeders. Where do you get them & how much more are they compared to the metal ones? Don't understand how you put 3 bales in one feeder - stacked on top of each other?
Could you post a pic?

That "kinda high" tailheads will help those calves shoot right out.

Don't know where the idea ever got started that cattle need to be board-flat down their top.

Badlands

Badlands":33a551sx said:

Don't know where the idea ever got started that cattle need to be board-flat down their top.

Badlands

How does a high tail head help the calve "shoot right out"?

dun

DOC HARRIS":3o8e5ya5 said:
Hi Michele-

This is a sturdy looking heifer, and should mature into a good brood cow. If she is as wide across the hindquarters as the one standing behind her, you have a very acceptable breeder.

DOC HARRIS

She is, and actually the one behind her, I would put in the bottom 3 of these bred heifers.

Thanks Doc

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2rgbsx5t said:
Very nice heifer. I question her legs, they look too straight to me (post legged) front & back. Other than that, she is good & thick looking - well balanced.
I'm interested in your plastic feeders. Where do you get them & how much more are they compared to the metal ones? Don't understand how you put 3 bales in one feeder - stacked on top of each other?
Could you post a pic?

She's actually just going to take off, so I agree that her front legs look "off".... and you could be right right about her...

We bought the hay feeders from a local farmer that does some supply selling as well as raise beef cattle. but I've seen brochures on them at implement dealers as well. He would buy the parts, put the rings together and sell them. He uses a heater iron that is used on gas lines to heat both sides of the part that will become a ring, kinds welds the 2 ends together... pretty neat actually. When we bought them they cost $225 and then another $45 for the spacers, which we had to put on ourselves.

We have small rounds, so we are able to squeeze 3 of the bales in the 9' feeders, kinda like a triangle formation, and they have to be on end. The feeders are flexible, so that helps. Also, after sitting the bales tend to have a flat spot on one side and that helps too.

I don't have any pics specifically of that, and being tax season, I won't get to the farm until April 20th. If you are still interested I will take some pics just of this.

Michele

Badlands":2pdrlx13 said:

Badlands
Badlands -

Well, now that you asked - the idea that cattle should be "board-flat" down their top got started in the "Pony" Cattle years (40's and 50's) so that they would look like BLOCKS OF MEAT, called "Baby Beeves" (Isn't that just to-o-o cute :roll: ) and it continues on to this day to a certain extent - such as trimming the hair on the tail head to "look" square from a side view, combing the hair up and out to make the quarters "look" thicker and heavier, "roughing" the flank area to make it "look" fuller, cutting the spinal process attachment(s) under the hide and then injecting fat in the area to 'fill' in the space to make the back "look" smooth, flat and even - - -in other words, in MY OPINION, lying about what the animal is, Genetically and Phenotypically!

Showing cattle in competition is a fine idea, HELPING KIDS LEARN RESPONSIBILITY, DEPENDABILITY, MANAGEMENT SKILLS - - all of those "GOOD characteristics that kids need to know to be good citizens - UNTIL it goes so far that WINNING any way that you can is the "goal of the day', - and then the entire motivation is down the toilet! "Trim here, cut there, comb the hair out on the legs so that the potential buyer thinks that the animal's bone is heavier than it HONESTLY is!

I guess that tells you how I feel about all the "SHOW" balony and more that goes on! I wonder if I am alone with these thoughts!!?? And, YES, I do understand that appearance sells! But there must be a happy medium in here somewhere.

DOC HARRIS

I have to agree with Doc on the primped appearance... but a somewhat different reason... I cannot see through the hair.. just not enough experience or ?? I need a working picture of the animal. And even then, I'll get things wrong, or won't see things.... again, lack of experience.

Michele