Thoughts on 9-11

Help Support CattleToday:

monkeywerkz

Reaction score
I realized this morning that tomorrow is 9-11, and I started to remember three years ago. I tried to imagine myself in one of the planes, and wondered if I would be the type of person to sit quietly in fear or if I would be the type of person that would try to rally the other passangers to fight the terrorists. Then I tried to imagine what my thoughts would be if I were in one of the towers. Would I try to run down the stairs as quickly as I could? Would I stop to help another person who had fallen, or just run for my life? Would I actually jump from a window and take my chances with the concrete? And what if I worked for the fire / police department? Would I risk my life for the safety of others?

I'm a younger guy, only 28. I realized that 9-11 was one of the first times I had actually been afraid. I mean really scared. These terrorists had invaded my country, and I didn't feel safe anymore.

The choice between Kerry and Bush has always been an easy choice, I support Bush over Kerry any day of the week. I've tried to have an open mind lately, though, and consider if Kerry has the attitudes, opinions and leadership skills that would help our country. After I was done with my "imagination exercise" this morning, I realized that I could never support Kerry.

If bombing Afganistan, invading Iraq, and taking a pro-active stance against terrorism is what will make our country safe, then I support it whole heartedly. If Bush's opinion is that we should attack before being attacked, and that we shouldn't wait until we are attacked to fight back, then I support him 100%. I don't give a rat's behind about either of the candidate's previous war records, but instead of their views and positions on how they will keep us safe. I want a safe country to raise my children in, and I think Bush will provide that much better than Kerry.

Just a few thoughts ...

I realized this morning that tomorrow is 9-11, and I started to remember three years ago. I tried to imagine myself in one of the planes, and wondered if I would be the type of person to sit quietly in fear or if I would be the type of person that would try to rally the other passangers to fight the terrorists. Then I tried to imagine what my thoughts would be if I were in one of the towers. Would I try to run down the stairs as quickly as I could? Would I stop to help another person who had fallen, or just run for my life? Would I actually jump from a window and take my chances with the concrete? And what if I worked for the fire / police department? Would I risk my life for the safety of others?

I'm a younger guy, only 28. I realized that 9-11 was one of the first times I had actually been afraid. I mean really scared. These terrorists had invaded my country, and I didn't feel safe anymore.

The choice between Kerry and Bush has always been an easy choice, I support Bush over Kerry any day of the week. I've tried to have an open mind lately, though, and consider if Kerry has the attitudes, opinions and leadership skills that would help our country. After I was done with my "imagination exercise" this morning, I realized that I could never support Kerry.

If bombing Afganistan, invading Iraq, and taking a pro-active stance against terrorism is what will make our country safe, then I support it whole heartedly. If Bush's opinion is that we should attack before being attacked, and that we shouldn't wait until we are attacked to fight back, then I support him 100%. I don't give a rat's behind about either of the candidate's previous war records, but instead of their views and positions on how they will keep us safe. I want a safe country to raise my children in, and I think Bush will provide that much better than Kerry.

Just a few thoughts ...

I never thought I would say this about someone with a name like monkeywerks but you are my hero.

Never really have been a hero before ...

You know, I used to work at the state prison, and I saw two different types of inmates. The first would roll over and just take whatever abuse another inmate wanted to inflict. That type of inmate was too scared to do anything. The second type of inmate would fight to his death in order to not be the victim. Now I know I'm talking about inmates here, but it seems like our country is in a similar situation right now and we have to make a decision: take whatever crap the terrorists (including evil dictators such as Saddam) want to dish out, or stand up for freedom and liberty and fight to the death to protect our liberties.

I'll tell you what, I sure appreciate any person who is serving in our military. Whether that person is a soldier, pilot, mechanic, med corps or stuck in an office filing paperwork, they have my respect. I see service men and women at school sometimes, or at the store, or even at church. I've never wanted to thank a total stranger until now.

Makes me wonder what each of us are doing to protect our country. Are we supporting our local schools, law enforcement officers and medical personnel? Are we taking an active stance in supporting politicians who will serve our country, instead of being served by our country? Are we teaching our children respect for human life, respect for different religious and political views, and respect for liberty? Perhaps we all need to look inwards and determine if we are supporting a particular party just because our parents did, or because we really believe in the candidate and his platform. Do we really agree with Bush or Kerry, or are we simply talking out our rear ends just to get people riled up.

I've had an awakening lately, a realization that I may not be doing my share. Sorry if this comes off like a bit of a "soap box" speech, but these are just things that I've been thinking of lately.

Latest posts