Thought I'd share a video

Help Support CattleToday:

jersey lilly

Reaction score
THis is my daughters newest barrel horse. She got him and started him on Barrels in July. He was a ranch horse, and had been jousted off of at the Reinessance(sp) Festival. He's Dash for Cash bred. Seems to really love his new job. Still makes mistakes, but that's to be expected. She ran him this weekend and had a time of 16.070. Next friday she's takin him to the WBR Finals in Waco.

That's a good time on the barrels. It would have on the Region 10 AQHA in SC this year. They had quite a few ranch horses running there and they did very well. Seems a good ranch horse has a lot of try in them.

It's hard to compare barrel times in different arenas. Each organization sets the barrels up different. They don't all use a standard AQHA pattern. It's all clover leaf pattern, but the barrels can be further apart, or closer together. She runs NBHA....but even then, the pattern varies because of the different size arenas. The winnin time was a 15.072....so with a 16.070 she was just a tad under a second off that time. Not a bad time since he's so new to barrels. But steadily improvin :D

Enjoyed that video of your daughter and her new horse running barrels.

If you don't mind my asking, where is that arena?

I miss watching my daughter run barrels.

Keep us posted on how she is doing, and her horse too. :)

Just_a_girl":1lu902i5 said:

That arena is in New Caney, Texas.

This horse has had what I thought was a "bad habit" leavin each barrel he snaps his head to the side.....but after doin that once he continues on runnin the pattern. We recently took him along with her other barrel horse, to a trainer for some help. This fella immediately knew somethin was wrong with this horse. Soon as we pulled him outta the trailer and tied him. When we got him we took him in to the Equine hospital here, they done his teeth. They are very reputable. We've used them alot, and know alot of other people that use them too. But.......this is the catch. He had his teeth done in June. The head shaking has been an ongoin thing ever since we got him. That's why I thought it was a habit. But...this fella looked in his mouth...run his fingers up between his teeth and cheek, and low n behold the inside of his cheek has laserations(sp) from very sharp edges on his teeth. So....we learned somethin very valuable. Just because a vet is lisenced doesn't mean they are good equine dentists. So now we are gonna have his teeth done by a good equine dentist and see if this helps the head shaking. He also can be a horse that needs done every six months and not once a year. But still.....he never improved after havin his teeth done the first time.
He also suggested power pack worming. Which we do worm on a regular basis, but he just never seems to pick up any weight. He doesn't drop feed or anything from needin his teeth done, but he's not improving in looks. His coat is just dull and lack luster. Hopefully all the things we are fixin to do with him will make big improvements. The man said, that he should look like a new horse in about 3 mo after we get it done.

But...on a good note...all the things we learned about this horse, and the fact that he's still willin to work as good as he's been working even tho he's hurtin, shows that he's got alot of "TRY and HEART" when it comes to runnin barrels.

jersey lilly":nou97t2c said:
Just_a_girl":nou97t2c said:

That arena is in New Caney, Texas.

This horse has had what I thought was a "bad habit" leavin each barrel he snaps his head to the side.....but after doin that once he continues on runnin the pattern. We recently took him along with her other barrel horse, to a trainer for some help. This fella immediately knew somethin was wrong with this horse. Soon as we pulled him outta the trailer and tied him. When we got him we took him in to the Equine hospital here, they done his teeth. They are very reputable. We've used them alot, and know alot of other people that use them too. But.......this is the catch. He had his teeth done in June. The head shaking has been an ongoin thing ever since we got him. That's why I thought it was a habit. But...this fella looked in his mouth...run his fingers up between his teeth and cheek, and low n behold the inside of his cheek has laserations(sp) from very sharp edges on his teeth. So....we learned somethin very valuable. Just because a vet is lisenced doesn't mean they are good equine dentists. So now we are gonna have his teeth done by a good equine dentist and see if this helps the head shaking. He also can be a horse that needs done every six months and not once a year. But still.....he never improved after havin his teeth done the first time.
He also suggested power pack worming. Which we do worm on a regular basis, but he just never seems to pick up any weight. He doesn't drop feed or anything from needin his teeth done, but he's not improving in looks. His coat is just dull and lack luster. Hopefully all the things we are fixin to do with him will make big improvements. The man said, that he should look like a new horse in about 3 mo after we get it done.

But...on a good note...all the things we learned about this horse, and the fact that he's still willin to work as good as he's been working even tho he's hurtin, shows that he's got alot of "TRY and HEART" when it comes to runnin barrels.

The arena reminded me of a place over by Canton, Texas.

"TRY and HEART" is right! For the safety of your daughter, I'm glad the laserations just made him shake his head. Sounds like a very good horse. He's lucky to have you and your family to take care of him. ;-) :D

I'm wondering about the not gaining weight and dull coat part, since you say he does not drop feed. What do you feed him?

If you get a chance, post some pictures of him. I would like to see him. :D

Latest posts