This can't be good

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I think it looks broken but don't want to discount the possibility of an infection. Few years ago we had a bull with a limp, couldn't figure out what was wrong so took him in. Vet shaved around the hock and discovered a scar (see 1st pic). Completely healed on the outside but when he stuck in a needle pus came pouring out. Naaasty infection that eventually healed after quality time in the chute flushing every other day & hefty shots of penicillin. Anyway, I've never dealt with a broken leg, foot, anything. Thoughts?

So now it's a game of cat & mouse, waiting until I can catch him. Three month old steer and he's getting around but never the right place at the right time. I had him 20 ft. from the gate to the barnyard when he double backed on me and went deep in the woods. I went all Rambo, busting through the woods (and brambles, and honey locust) to try & cut him off but he made it out & back to the pasture. And of course in retrospect that was completely stupid on my part because now it will be even harder to get him trapped in the corral & mama's now keeping him somewhat hidden (plus I'm covered in cuts and bruises). My other obstacle is the portable corral. Our terrain is incredibly rocky and there are only a few flat areas; it's not like we can just move it anywhere. I could set it up in the central pasture and wait until the herd is relatively close & try to move them - assuming he's with the herd. But does this look like somewhat of an emergency/time is of the essence?

Something is broken there. Get him to your vet; they'll be able to tell you whether or not it's still fixable.

Yep something's definitely busted. Sure glad YOU didn't bust something during your wild goose chase :roll: All things considered even if possible its not likely pursuing repair would be economically viable.

Looks like the break is already starting to heal. Which means it's going to be more work to get it "fixed," and could cost more than he's worth. Get him caught and let a vet look at him, just waste much money on him.
Probably have to spend the rest of his life in a lot, and not on pasture.

Looks like a distal metatarsal fracture. These have been known to heal without intervention in this age animal. Usually an oblique fracture giving lots of surface area opposed to help with healing. It looks fairly fresh to me, that swelling comes up quick which also helps to immobilise it. If you can get him in to get him looked at that would be good however if that is a bit difficult I would not stress about leaving him where he is for now. No bones seem to have penetrated the skin from the photos.

Ken

Dang TC, you have all the luck. Yours looked very similar to mine from last week. A put a PVC pipe cast on mine. I don't think he will get back to anywhere close to 100% but maybe enough to salvage for a butcher calf.

We have a 6wt hfr with the same type of injury. It happened when she was 250-300lbs. Kept her and her mother up in the yard. We just let it heel. She moves with a limp, but gets around. She's weaned, and in with a group of feeders now. Good Luck.

Thank you! Okay, so it looks like I have a feeder. As bad luck would have it, he's once again sooooo close to the path leading down to the barnyard and his mama is down there. But I have no intention of another epic fail in the woods and most likely making it worse. Some day it will happen, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Naturally he's one of the calves that just doesn't feel the love. Out of 52 there are about 15 that think I'm Satan.

Hubby getting mauled by a few, begging for cubes:

TCRanch said:
Naturally he's one of the calves that just doesn't feel the love. Out of 52 there are about 15 that think I'm Satan.

Gotta bat your eyes and then wink at him just right :lol2:

5S Cattle said:
Nobody in your area to rope/dart him for you?

I know some guys that could rope him and get him on the trailer. No on the dart; this is not a life or death situation.

They moved to the south pond and there are some flat areas down there so moving the corral this evening.

We have had as much luck with benign neglect as with casting them. As a stock contractor friend told me, Put them in the back pasture where you can't see them and don't go there for a month. If you do, all you will want to do is shoot them.

I think that calf will be just fine. In most cases the tendons and muscle structure will eventually pull the leg fairly straight.

gcreekrch said:
We have had as much luck with benign neglect as with casting them. As a stock contractor friend told me, Put them in the back pasture where you can't see them and don't go there for a month. If you do, all you will want to do is shoot them.

I think that calf will be just fine. In most cases the tendons and muscle structure will eventually pull the leg fairly straight.

One of my neighbors said essentially the same thing. I can take him in, get a cast and he'll still end up with a limp and get docked at the sale barn.

TCRanch said:
gcreekrch said:

One of my neighbors said essentially the same thing. I can take him in, get a cast and he'll still end up with a limp and get docked at the sale barn.

Not necessarily, we had a freak year in 2019 with four calves getting broken legs. We did cast a couple and left the other two. They all went with bunches last fall.

Never touched the one this year and he is fine.

Let's hear it for benign neglect! You can see it still doesn't look "right" but he's getting around so well, you wouldn't know unless you happened to look directly at his foot - which they will if I sold him so still planning on serving him for dinner.

By the time I got him in the corral, about a week after my initial post, my vet agreed it was probably too late but go ahead & bring him in. Decided it wasn't worth the hassle & possible additional injury getting him in/out/in/out of the trailer & let him go.

Latest posts