This ain't good

Help Support CattleToday:

I agree it aint good but still I knew it was going to happen eventually what with prices and all. In fact feed prices have come waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down here as have fertilizer prices. Fertilizer prices were nearly a thousand dollars a ton last year and I am getting them for 514 a ton this year with immonium nitrate instead of urea. Granted that is still high but way better than a thousand dollars a ton.

They're selling them as beef for ONLY $1,100 EACH ? What's the deal with that? I may have to see about trading my anguses for holsteins.

c farmer":xfw96zt2 said:
Their selling them to other farmers for 1100.00 each.
The article says they're selling them on the beef market for $1100 each and that slaughter of dairy cows in January '09 was up 30% over January '08.

ga. prime":a96t3jci said:
$1100 is a lot for a butcher cow. How much do Holsteins weigh typically?

It all depends...often 1300 or more..typically aroun 1100-1150 if they're really milked down and not bred. But some parts of the country just raise and milk much larger cattle also.

Feeder and live cattle prices limited down today. Looks like another bad week ahead!

Folks are hoarding cash. Selling anything to get a $. Bamo signed the "come and get it" giveaway sweepsakes.

1982vett":2ywir8i0 said:
Folks are hoarding cash. Selling anything to get a $. Bamo signed the "come and get it" giveaway sweepsakes.

yep
and what happens when that trillion(total stimulus) dollars gets into all those waiting hands.
inflation..so now your retirement fund will not be enough to retire on, but there will be a goverment job for you :(

I think it has something to do with a bunch of dairy cows hitting the market to sell as beef cows. So it is a supply and demand problem... Here is a link.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... AD96CJJF00

Dairy cows head for slaughter as milk prices sour
By TRACIE CONE – 1 day ago
TURLOCK, Calif. (AP) — Hundreds of thousands of America's dairy cows are being turned into hamburgers because milk prices have dropped so low that farmers can no longer afford to feed the animals.
Dairy farmers say they have little choice but to sell part of their herds for slaughter because they face a perfect storm of destructive economic forces. At home, feed prices are rising and cash-strapped consumers are eating out less often. Abroad, the global recession has cut into demand for butter and cheese exported from the U.S.

….

Some dairymen have become so desperate that they are not even bothering to haul to feedlots the newborns whose births keep milk flowing at higher levels.
Investigators in San Joaquin County are trying to determine who dumped 30 dead bull calves on country roads to avoid rendering costs or hauling them to auction, where they fetch $5 each but cost hundreds and hundreds more to bottle feed special formula. The group Farm Sanctuary is offering a $2,000 reward for the culprit.

Looks like another down day for our futures. get ready for lower prices at the barns. When are we going to hit the bottom? sigh

as long as there are paper cattle being traded who knows whats going to happen.
in my opinion if you don't own the cattle you shouldn't be able to sell a contract or buy a contract unless you have the means to accept a load of cattle ..jmo

kenny thomas":1gk0l7xt said:
Paper trading has ruined both the cattle and oil markets. Cost us as much as the bad economy I think. Feeders down $2.57 earlier.
Kenny paper in this case is following the cash fats. They traded at 78 or 79 today in Neb. In case no one noticed, the government of the U.S.A is insolvent. Major corporations are going broke. Banks are way under capitalized at this market and we've destroyed somewhere around 60 trillion dollars worth of stock investments and housing value. This isn't a mere case of paper trading. We're in a deflationary spiral.

ollie?":3633klfv said:
This isn't a mere case of paper trading. We're in a deflationary spiral.

And with any luck (wishing hopefully) it won't be followed by hyperinflation. However, I am afraid we will end up in hyperinflation if they decide to just keep printing out money without something to back it.

Katherine

Latest posts