Thieves

Help Support CattleToday:

~

Medic, I am so sorry to hear about your loss.

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE That is one good reason to tattoo your calves.....positive identification. :[/quote said:
In November, my black heifer ended up missing and I located her 10 miles away on someones farm. She didn't walk there......

She looked like a dozen other black heifers that this well known land owner had and all the townsfolk doubted I could get her back as " it was his word against yours, and all black cows look alike"

What no one knew--or expected-- was I had tattooed her in her left ear, with my last name, when she was weaned.
I let this fact be known at the local police department and she was back in my pasture in 3 days.
She was gone a total of 21 days and lost 40 lbs.

At Weaning, I tattoo my reg cows with a number and my "For sale " beef calves with just my last 5 digit name.

Ears tattoos are good, but can't be seen from a distance. In my case, the tattoo was indeed the secret weapon because of the sheer fact it could NOT be seen and it became a felony immediately upon disclosure.
I was lucky he didnt dispose of the evidence, but by then too many people knew of the situation--especially the police.

A brand can be seen at a distance and would be a better deterrant.
I am considering them next.

Livestock Guardian Dogs are also an excellant deterrant.

Wish they had Lo-Jac for cows~!!

Got my tattoo kit from Valley Vet a few years ago--no shipping charge.

Hope your rustler gets caught~!!

We brand our calves in mid May before they go out to pasture, but I do know of one old timer that cuts his processing time down on the older calves by using an electric brand (custom made) on his calves when they are one to two days old. Mind you, he runs every cow through the barn at calving time (and obviously has power to his barn), but since he only calves out sixty head he feels that it's easier doing it then when he's tagging.

Works well for him, and in a situation where you're experiencing or there is the possibility of theft would be well worth the effort.

Take care.

Sorry to hear about your loss! It sucks when a person works hard to have animals and support them for some yahoo to steal them from him.

Brands / tatoos are okay, but I'm with sidney on this one. Most "savvy" rustlers know where to take them before you even find them gone. I'm sure y'all remember my story about a friend that lost 11 heifers (900 lbs) with huge brands.. never a trace.

la4angus":izoahlfm said:
A tattoo isn't legal identification. It is for herd identification only or for Registeration ID on Registered cattle.
A registered hot iron brand is the legal identification in most states; with some states recognizing a freeze brand as legal ID.
Check with your State Brand Board.

What is the youngest that youall would brand a calve. We have been having problems with this in our area.

CattleAnnie - Do the brands on the baby calves stretch out and/or become distorted when they get older? Is it harder to brand a calf? i.e. thinner skin then an older cow? We have electric brands also but I have never even thought of branding the baby calves before.

All this talk about cattle thieving reminded me of one of my granddad's old stories about a neighbor of his. The guy hadn't married yet and one day he got to noticing that he was burning wood a lot faster than it seemed like he should. He got to watching his woodpile real close. Sure enough, when he would get back from being in the fields or the pasture all day there would be a few sticks missing.

(A little perspective for the younger readers who are one more generation removed: to run out of firewood in those days was a disgrace. Only a lazy so-and-so wouldn't keep enough firewood cut for his family. It was fuel for cooking, washing, heating, etc. People kept huge woodpiles because they would go through so much each year.)

He realized that while he was out somebody was snagging just enough each day to tide them over to the next, hoping he wouldn't notice. He knew he couldn't catch them if he was out working so he set his mind to finding a way to stop them. One day it hit him.

He got home, put up the mules and went to work. He found a nice straight stick and put it in the vice, got his brace and bit and bored a big hole almost all the way down the middle. After carving a plug he filled said hole with gunpowder and stopped it up. Then he buggered up the end where it would not be obvious and put the special stick back on the pile – making very sure he could recognize it and not accidentally use it.

It took several days of checking but sure enough one day the special stick was missing. It took several more days before he found out who it was. Nothing was ever said by the thief. He found out who the culprit was because of all the talk at the store. Everybody was wondering why a certain man had decided to order a new stove when he never took good care of his wife anyway. It turned out that not only did it blow the stove and pipe to smithereens, it knocked out the window and tore up part of the wall. Luck nobody was killed and the house didn't burn down. But it did break somebody of the habit of stealing firewood.

To bad there's not a way to do that with cattle. Ha.

Craig-TX

Craig-TX":1wuk4gyj said:
All this talk about cattle thieving reminded me of one of my granddad's old stories about a neighbor of his. The guy hadn't married yet and one day he got to noticing that he was burning wood a lot faster than it seemed like he should. He got to watching his woodpile real close. Sure enough, when he would get back from being in the fields or the pasture all day there would be a few sticks missing.

(A little perspective for the younger readers who are one more generation removed: to run out of firewood in those days was a disgrace. Only a lazy so-and-so wouldn't keep enough firewood cut for his family. It was fuel for cooking, washing, heating, etc. People kept huge woodpiles because they would go through so much each year.)

He realized that while he was out somebody was snagging just enough each day to tide them over to the next, hoping he wouldn't notice. He knew he couldn't catch them if he was out working so he set his mind to finding a way to stop them. One day it hit him.

He got home, put up the mules and went to work. He found a nice straight stick and put it in the vice, got his brace and bit and bored a big hole almost all the way down the middle. After carving a plug he filled said hole with gunpowder and stopped it up. Then he buggered up the end where it would not be obvious and put the special stick back on the pile – making very sure he could recognize it and not accidentally use it.

It took several days of checking but sure enough one day the special stick was missing. It took several more days before he found out who it was. Nothing was ever said by the thief. He found out who the culprit was because of all the talk at the store. Everybody was wondering why a certain man had decided to order a new stove when he never took good care of his wife anyway. It turned out that not only did it blow the stove and pipe to smithereens, it knocked out the window and tore up part of the wall. Luck nobody was killed and the house didn't burn down. But it did break somebody of the habit of stealing firewood.

To bad there's not a way to do that with cattle. Ha.

Craig-TX

Craig-Tx,

I love your story. Glad no one got hurt. A stink bomb/or smoke bomb would have been interestng too. Huh? :help: :idea: :eek:

I certainly remember the wood cutting/chopping/splitting during my young years in western KY.

Branding/marking for some reasons..remote hidden survellance cameras for some reasons...and a dog to pick up the night sounds.. seems to be the answers. I don't think any one thing will suffice for all eventualities. :shock:

Double R Ranch":32ws4imt said:
la4angus":32ws4imt said:
A tattoo isn't legal identification. It is for herd identification only or for Registeration ID on Registered cattle.
A registered hot iron brand is the legal identification in most states; with some states recognizing a freeze brand as legal ID.

What is the youngest that youall would brand a calve. We have been having problems with this in our area.

We usually brand when most are about a month or two old- before they are moved to summer pasture-- but sometimes have some in the group as young as a few days old... use a 3 inch iron on calves because the brand will grow out with the hide-- But thats what you want is the visibility....

Problem with many areas of the country where you don't have brand laws is that even if they are branded, there is no one to check them when marketed--No market inspections... In the brand law states a branded calf cannot be sold it you don't own that brand or have a bill of sale to go with that animal.....Also in Montana if you sell a no-brand calf (especially young ones) you have to sign an affidavit verifying ownership and the brand inspectors trace back to determine if that person has or should be selling cattle...Require you to show where the calf came from......

Another practice which is used by brand enforcement officers in the country is the stopping and checking of trailers and trucks for brand inspection papers or to see what they are hauling--especially the ones travelling around late at night or the wee hours of the morning...The brand laws give the officer the authority to check for inspection paperwork...

Around here when a cow/calf is taken to auction you have to prove ownership, a brand inspector checks and signs off on every cow that goes threw. When putting a cow in the freezer (except if you do it on your own) You have to prove ownership to the kill guy and the butcher. The kill guy has to take the hide to a brand inspection.
Within the last year 2 "kids" were caught with about 50 stollen cows. Never did hear what happened to them.

Oldtimer":3akzg9bo said:
Double R Ranch":3akzg9bo said:
la4angus":3akzg9bo said:

We usually brand when most are about a month or two old- before they are moved to summer pasture-- but sometimes have some in the group as young as a few days old... use a 3 inch iron on calves because the brand will grow out with the hide-- But thats what you want is the visibility....

Problem with many areas of the country where you don't have brand laws is that even if they are branded, there is no one to check them when marketed--No market inspections... In the brand law states a branded calf cannot be sold it you don't own that brand or have a bill of sale to go with that animal.....Also in Montana if you sell a no-brand calf (especially young ones) you have to sign an affidavit verifying ownership and the brand inspectors trace back to determine if that person has or should be selling cattle...Require you to show where the calf came from......

Another practice which is used by brand enforcement officers in the country is the stopping and checking of trailers and trucks for brand inspection papers or to see what they are hauling--especially the ones travelling around late at night or the wee hours of the morning...The brand laws give the officer the authority to check for inspection paperwork...[/quote

Oldtimer,

Good thoughts.

Do you think the "COOL"/ID tags could assist..other than going to the freezer?

It appears it would since most likely, when the program is up and running, no one will be able to sell an animal with out one.

Not all the answers, I don't think.

First cow I ever had was a gift from a gentleman some 20 miles away from our farm that lost 16 good sized steers. The steers ended up on our place and my brother and I put em in a corral and kept them there for a week or so. Sure enough and add appeared in the paper and the guy came out to claim his cattle.

He could not of been happier, I am sure those steers were a bit part of his operation. Anyway he offered me $500.00 and I respectfully declined. Two days later he showed up at my house with a little black heifer. Named her chocolate.

The guy had suspected that someone had taken the cattle and let them go nearby... How they ended up in our pasture I will never know.
And dont accuse me either, hell I was only 10 couldnt even drive.

KANSAS":a752fbzk said:
First cow I ever had was a gift from a gentleman some 20 miles away from our farm that lost 16 good sized steers. The steers ended up on our place and my brother and I put em in a corral and kept them there for a week or so. Sure enough and add appeared in the paper and the guy came out to claim his cattle.

He could not of been happier, I am sure those steers were a bit part of his operation. Anyway he offered me $500.00 and I respectfully declined. Two days later he showed up at my house with a little black heifer. Named her chocolate.

The guy had suspected that someone had taken the cattle and let them go nearby... How they ended up in our pasture I will never know.

Kansas,

Did that happen around halloween?

I can remember, as a 10-11 year old...3 of us tansferred 66 head of cattle from one guy's ranch....2 miles down the country road and put them in anothers. The bulls fought all night long. No one got hurt.

When it was known toward the end of the next day...I had to own up to it...Dad wasn't happy...he always knew his kids...LOL...and we had to help return them. Thats as near to cattle wrestling I ever came. After that, changing mail boxes was the extent of my pranks. Oh,,except one...when we dis-assembled a wagon..hauled it into the hay loft and reassembled it. The guy looked for about a week before he found it.

Kids will be kids..LOL.

KANSAS":3ql39bl4 said:

What kind of farm kid doesn't know how to drive at 10?

I learned to drive by the time I was 8, Caustic took me out in the truck got out and left me. The only way I could get home was to drive.

Learned to ride a bicycle when I was 5 when Muratic put me on her bike and told me to ride it or she would kill me.

:(

I've got a couple of momma cows that I hope someone tries to steal their calves. they will be there when I get there, if not dead they had wished they were

The older brothers wouldnt let me drive.....

Hell come to think about it... they didnt let me do much of anything......

Salicylic":34s04lh7 said:
Learned to ride a bicycle when I was 5 when Muratic put me on her bike and told me to ride it or she would kill me.

:(

Oh just admit it...you liked the lessons we taught ya and the way we did it, and you know it

Latest posts