Thieves and troublemakers

Help Support CattleToday:

Green Creek

Reaction score
We had an jolt this morning with a phone call saying our catle were out. After scrambling for clothes and shoes, we ran out to look for them. Then we found that a gate had been opened and if it hadn't been for a neighbor getting up at one in the morning, we probably would have lost them all, cows and calves. Barking dogs and and lights on evidently scared them off.

I thought this was going to be about congressmen and senators

I saw a add on Craigslist in Tennessee for a 5k dollar reward for cattle thefts. Someone lost 25 steers to rustlers, and thieves.

Wow, that's lucky.. but I wouldn't bet they don't come back..

Up here there was a pot load stolen from the sale barn!

The sheriff told us there had been a rash of gates just being opened for the trouble it caused. I can't how that would be entertaining since they wouldn't be around to see the result but I guess it's not required that we understand the mindset of a jerk.

Green Creek":7fikef73 said:
The sheriff told us there had been a rash of gates just being opened for the trouble it caused. I can't how that would be entertaining since they wouldn't be around to see the result but I guess it's not required that we understand the mindset of a jerk.

We lock all our perimeter gates and quite a few of our interior ones (during hunting season on the interiors especially) to dissuade this type foolishness. A locked gate really only deters an honest person anyway, a true thief is coming in no matter what.

The smartest thing we did was about 5 years ago we order a huge bunch of locks all keyed the same from Masterlock. Sure does simplify the process only having to carry one key.

What???
Ya mean we AREN'T supposed to carry around a key ring the size of the ones at a Mexican prison and have to try 1/2 dozen keys in a freezing rain before we find one that unlocks the gate? Where's the fun in that TT?

greybeard":1sz1df6f said:
What???
Ya mean we AREN'T supposed to carry around a key ring the size of the ones at a Mexican prison and have to try 1/2 dozen keys in a freezing rain before we find one that unlocks the gate? Where's the fun in that TT?

Lol!

When I first met my in laws that's exactly what they looked like. It was maddening.

TennesseeTuxedo":rdu7yf06 said:
a huge bunch of locks all keyed the same from Masterlock. Sure does simplify the process only having to carry one key.

We use the heavy-duty combination locks by Masterlock. Periodically I change the combination.

I used to do it the fun way that Greybeard described, but I would lable each key with initials for which gates.......it wasn't as practical as it sounds. :lol2:

I had a gate left open about a month ago. It was right on a property line with my neighbors house sitting a hundred feet away so I have never locked it as his wife and grand-daughters like to go out and mess with my horses and I won't ever say "no" to something as wonderful as that unless there's a safety concern.
One day I got the "get home NOW" call and had three horses and the bulls running loose through the neighborhood which is mostly five-twenty acre blocks. At one point there was a school bus loading kids while one of my bulls went thundering past with two dogs in pursuit. :shock:
After the dust settled my neighbor by the gate revealed that he was 90% sure that it was his nephew as they'd had a family gathering the day before and that particular kid enjoyed doing stuff like that. :mad: I told him all's well that ends well as it wasn't his fault but for the boys sake I either wanted him to work off whatever damages we could contrive or get into counseling as that smelled like future arsonist to me.
The boy's parents are in denial so my neighbor put a combination lock on the gate for me and told them they don't get to come back unless they're going to keep him within sight at all times.

Oh those nephews! Especially city nephews. One of ours put dirt in the gas tank of the lawn mower then broke the key off in the ignition. Finally, as a closing act up he unrolled 30yards of new Trylene line. He went home and told his mother uncle Jack doesn't like me and that was putting it mildly.

Latest posts