They just look for ways to die

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
I dropped by my friend's dairy today and one of his cows caught herself on a piece of metal and tore her side all the way to her gut. I grabbed some sutures from my first aid box and we spent a few hours working on her. It was slow go and we were fighting against her bloating.

This is after she got about 100 stitches of cat gut to sew up the herniated area.

Once we got the insides sewn up we started on the outer skin stitching drain plugs in ever so often and applying a liberal dusting of sulfa powder.

Here is the finished work. She is still pretty doped up but at least we finished before she bloated too bad. If the inner stitches will hold and he can keep infection at bay I think she will come out alright.

Coongratulations, you sure are a handy sort to have around. Well done!

You guys did a beautiful job of closing her up. I've seen work by vets that was sloppier looking.

Hope your friend patched up the sharp edge, too.

I was thinking, since our vet works for the state now and isn;t always available, have you eveer thought of moving to Missouri?

3waycross":2ahn286q said:
Musta felt like you had your Dad sitting on your shoulder. :tiphat:

It did at that. I just hope it takes. I just worry about the inside stitches. She really did a number on herself but the good thing is she only damaged flesh and no internals. I would have given a hundred dollars for a pair of those forceps with the scissor blade near the pivot point. That would have sped things up a lot.

inyati13":2ahn286q said:
What did you dope her with?

Gave her some rompun in the pen then when she got calm we led her to outside the pen to the grass where she laid down. When she started feeling things we'd touch her with just a little more to keep her quiet till we could finish. Didn't want to knock her out too bad because of the bloat concern.

That's out of my league. I've sewed a prolapse or two, but never anything even remotely close to that. I took some scurs off of a show heifer years ago, and sewed that up. I'm afraid I'd just shot that cow. I don't think it would have even occured to me to call a vet.

Update: Knocking on wood, but she seems to be doing fine. She is up and around and has a good appetite so maybe she will be fine.

Latest posts