There she is

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryan

Reaction score
Here is my first non-longhorn. She was born last fall, about 8 months old sired by Johnny Walker Red out of a Hoodoo charolais cow. She is owned in partnership with a buddy of mine. No plans to show her. Just to raise her as a replacement female. Maybe raise some show calves out of her.

HotnBothered-06.jpg

HotnBothered-03.jpg

HotnBothered-04.jpg

HotnBothered-02.jpg

What do you think?

Ryan

Hmmmm.....looks like she has a tendency to roach a little, a little cut-up in the flank, a little heavy fronted, but appears to be very thick across the top. Looks like she would make a decent cow.

I agree with jovid. However I'm not that concerned about the flank. You can breed that out in one generation. Her hip joint may be a bit straight causeing the roaching effect. If thats the case be careful about breeding her to one of those "steer" bull composites. You'll want to go first for structural correctness then a loose mad bull. She's still got a lot of good pieces to her.

Am I the only one who thinks she could stand to be a little deeper? I don't think she's a bad female, just maybe doesn't balance up all her good traits into a smooth package. I'd like to see her deeper chested too. I think she could throw some good calves if she's gets bred to a bull who will click with her. Good Luck and keep us posted how shes doing.

Thanks for the comments. I tend to agree with most of them, too.

Here's my assessment of her:
She does want to roach some. She travels well (which ya'll cannot tell in a picture). She is a very broody heifer, and although the pictures may or may not indicate it, she actually is very balanced. She does have a nice big top, she is a moderate framed, does not disappoint when looking from the rear. I would like to clean her up through the front end just a little, and i would like to see her smoother-made, although there is some give and take there because i like her broodiness and sogginess.

As for her being my first non-longhorn, I think she will work. Especially at the price I/we got her for.

Also, I had the option of this one or another heifer to go into the partnership. The other heifer was the same age and color, and the dams had very similar breeding, however I chose this one because there was a lot more heifer there. The other one had a more level topline, but that was about the only place she beat this heifer.

Thanks again for the comments. More are certainly welcome.

Ryan

Well Im proud Ryan she does have some maine blood thanks to her daddy who is out of WMW and she is red ;-) I dont think I would put her in a show string but I feel she will make a pretty nice cow. I like the amount of leg she has but I would like to drop her in the flank. ;-) Good luck with her.

She looks like a nice cow prospect to me, nice thick top and would work with the right bull to make nice calves.

Also I can not let this go for the third time. TN Beef, capacitance is the measure of a capacitor to hold electical charge. I think what you want is the heifer to have more capacity.

tlmcr":12o0rg2z said:
She looks like a nice cow prospect to me, nice thick top and would work with the right bull to make nice calves.

Also I can not let this go for the third time. TN Beef, capacitance is the measure of a capacitor to hold electical charge. I think what you want is the heifer to have more capacity.

She needs more depth of rib is what I think he was referring to. LOL unless he likes electrically charged animals.

Latest posts