Theileriosis

Help Support CattleToday:

Tuesday Mack

Reaction score
Anyone had a definitive go around with it? Might have one cow that picked it up. We're in an area that's likely got the Longhorned tick.

She's not doing terrible, but she's slow, very likely aborted but didn't pass, was probably six months along, little drool, trace of blood on the nostril, very minimal bloody vaginal discharge. Ears stay up, nose is wet, eyes are bright, still eats and drinks, probably has a fever as she's in the pond much more than the others, and she moves slow. Not significant weight loss yet, hide is still slick. Probably been ten days to two weeks at this point. Keep waiting for her to die but not sure if or when she might.

Its here and the state agricultural department is testing every cow going through the stockyard that is going back home. But not notified anyone of the positive result. They say most cows will live but some may never do very well afterwards. I have not for sure had a case yet.

Anyone had a definitive go around with it? Might have one cow that picked it up. We're in an area that's likely got the Longhorned tick.

She's not doing terrible, but she's slow, very likely aborted but didn't pass, was probably six months along, little drool, trace of blood on the nostril, very minimal bloody vaginal discharge. Ears stay up, nose is wet, eyes are bright, still eats and drinks, probably has a fever as she's in the pond much more than the others, and she moves slow. Not significant weight loss yet, hide is still slick. Probably been ten days to two weeks at this point. Keep waiting for her to die but not sure if or when she might.
So are you treating the cow with buparvaquone?

Not in this instance. She makes it or she don't. Won't sell her sick like she is now, but if she lives through until I take the spring born calves off here in a few months, she'll likely go with them if she's doing okay.

I've asked a vet or two if they want to test her to report, but I'm not going to pay them to do it. No takers yet.

Not in this instance. She makes it or she don't. Won't sell her sick like she is now, but if she lives through until I take the spring born calves off here in a few months, she'll likely go with them if she's doing okay.

I've asked a vet or two if they want to test her to report, but I'm not going to pay them to do it. No takers yet.
What's the diagnosis/treatment cost as opposed to the value of the cow?

Ended up losing a good mammoth jack and the cow I referenced at the beginning of this thread to what I assume was it (theileriosis) this year. Both lethargic for months and while they maintained an appetite to a degree, both wasted away to nothing. Not a fan of it and hope I don't see it next year but fear it's not going away.

Ended up losing a good mammoth jack and the cow I referenced at the beginning of this thread to what I assume was it (theileriosis) this year. Both lethargic for months and while they maintained an appetite to a degree, both wasted away to nothing. Not a fan of it and hope I don't see it next year but fear it's not going away.
So did you ever find out what the cost of treatment was?

What was the value of the animals you lost?

I did not ever find out cost of treatment. Local vets wanted a couple hundred to come out and test and my limited research led me to decide that there isn't any to speak of unless it's caught very early.

Considering what I sold cows for yesterday, probably $1300 for the cow and $750 for the jack? Call it two grand even although I honestly don't know what the jack would have sold for or was worth. He was around 18 years old and I haven't been in that market in about as long. He was a good animal and part of the farm. Hurt a lot worse to watch him die than the cow. Regret not putting him out of his misery.

This one has come on the scene since I retired.
I had seen T.buffeli infection in a couple of KY herds 20 years ago.
In some parts of the world, a live vaccine of low-virulence T.orientalis has been used as a preventative for clinical disease due to Anaplasma marginale.

Attachments

• theileria-orientalis-ikeda-notice.pdf
    188.1 KB · Views: 12
This one has come on the scene since I retired.
I had seen T.buffeli infection in a couple of KY herds 20 years ago.
In some parts of the world, a live vaccine of low-virulence T.orientalis has been used as a preventative for clinical disease due to Anaplasma marginale.
It has spread through Virginia pretty darn fast. Department of Agricultural is bleeding a few cows each week at the stockyard mostly to see how widespread it is.

It's been found in some TN counties west & south of me...not sure they've documented it in KY yet.

Read this today. I concur with the anecdotal statement about unmowed pasture being a prime ground for the Asian Longhorned ticks and ticks in general. I had no issues until the spring when I turned out on 40 acres of stockpiled fescue that had been allowed to grow the previous year with no cutting or grazing. All of the other ground I graze and use steadily is always fairly short. I'll try and not make that mistake again going forward.

Read this today. I concur with the anecdotal statement about unmowed pasture being a prime ground for the Asian Longhorned ticks and ticks in general. I had no issues until the spring when I turned out on 40 acres of stockpiled fescue that had been allowed to grow the previous year with no cutting or grazing. All of the other ground I graze and use steadily is always fairly short. I'll try and not make that mistake again going forward.

The ticks and chiggers was what drove us out of Arkansas. Other than the bugs it was probably the best place I've ever lived.

I bought a group of bred heifers back in the summer. One of those contracted it. Vet confirmed it. Wound up losing her. Had to send a report to the TN state vet but that was all. Vet suspected she was infected by the time she arrived here due to the area where she came from having several reported cases.