The weather channel

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
Not trying to take away from the serious weather that's coming.
We've been watching this weather channel like it's a movie. Quite a dog and pony show their putting on. They haven't used the storm surge simulator for at least 15 minutes so I'm guessing they broke it.
Gotta another guy in a harness strapped in a wind tunnel blasting him with 100 mph winds.
One reporter rocking back and forth holding on to post holding a device that records windspeed.......30 mph. and another one that I'm pretty sure is purposely standing in a small puddle.
I guess you kinda run out of material waiting on a hurricane.
Best of luck to the southeast

callmefence":2wtgauid said:
We've been watching this weather channel like it's a movie. Quite a dog and pony show their putting on. They haven't used the storm surge simulator for at least 15 minutes so I'm guessing they broke it.
Gotta another guy in a harness strapped in a wind tunnel blasting him with 100 mph winds.
One reporter rocking back and forth holding on to post holding a device that records windspeed.......30 mph. and another one that I'm pretty sure is purposely standing in a small puddle.

What I don't get is why Irma's storm surge so low.
Carla came ashore with a 22 to 25' storm surge, closest to this one I can compare.
Is the wind actually helping the west coast of Florida.

Gulf current generally runs clockwise coming up from and around the east side of the Yucatan and pretty much follows the Texas coast in the Gulf, except for the inner current that flows clockwise close to the Texas Coast. Hurricane winds are counter clockwise, piling water up ahead of it. The 2 forces (counterclockwise wind driven water and main clockwise current further out) are opposing each other and with a BIG hurricane like Carla and Ike, the surge water that's bucking the natural current flow has no where to go but into the coastal Bend of Texas low lying coastal plain. The inner current close to the Texas coastal bend even helps drive more water in the the Texas coastal plain.

With Irma, a big part of that dirty side is going to be on the Eastern side of Fla and it's water has the whole Atlantic to spread out in, helped by the natural flow of the Gulf Stream toward the NE Atlantic while the surge on the Western side of Fla has the whole Western Gulf of Mexico to spread out in.

I would assume the surge on the west coast will be at its worst after the eyewall passes. The winds will be blowing straight in off the gulf.

The guy that was standing in the puddle last night is in the **** this morning. 73 mph winds. He stopped talking and bent over and put his azz into the wind just like a horse. They broke to another reporter. I hope he's OK.

One day "little boy blue" will get his head lopped off by a stop sign on live tv and that will be the end of the dog and pony show.

True Grit Farms":27dbkozi said:
I'm old enough to remember when the weather channel was actually the weather channel.

Its almost like reality television. Wasn't it just two weeks ago they were saying it was going to be a Category 6? Yet they can't tell me if its going to rain for three days. Its almost as if there is a hidden agenda.

callmefence":b6foimdq said:

Andrew,
I had the same thought. First, the impact of Irma will be awful. I hate inconvenience more than losing possessions. To have your life disrupted by this natural destructive force, would be a nightmare. But isn't it amazing how much entertainment it creates. I have lots going on today but every spare minute, since yesterday evening, I watch the storm coverage like it is a Movie. I wonder how many people are having "Hurricane Parties". Like Super Bowl parties.

'Weather channel just spent 20 minutes discussing the difference between a wind gust and sustained winds. I never knew something so simple could be made so complicated.

Why does Jim Cantore wear a kevlar helmet and Stephanie doesn't?

Did anyone else get the gut feeling that the media is disappointed the storm has been downgraded? I am watching NBC on a local channel out of Lexington. They keep apologizing that the storm is not living up to billing!!!

Bright Raven":302sq6f7 said:
Did anyone else get the gut feeling that the media is disappointed the storm has been downgraded? I am watching NBC on a local channel out of Lexington. They keep apologizing that the storm is not living up to billing!!!

Well three weeks ago when Irma was nothing but a cloud the media promised us a Category 6 hurricane didn't they?

Bright Raven":2ecde4ly said:

If it had weakened to nothing and blew one single off they would have cameras set up around the shingle. Cantore would be on the roof covering the bare spot. They would have a shingle damage simulator in the studio. And a expert to tell how much it would hurt if you where hit by a loose shingle.... maybe m5?

Bright Raven":18qelu8d said:

Ron, we get the same here, all the media go to where the cyclone is expected to cross the coast and you see them visibly disappointed the morning after if roofs have not been blown off. They are not happy until they can find some old farm shed that has lost its roof and interview the owner and put words into their mouth about how much financial loss they have had.

Ken

Every hurricane is the worst there has ever been as well.
I think Wilma was the worst since modern measurements have started.
The 1900 storm on Galveston was the
largest loss of life.

Caustic Burno":vhkr2kwk said:
largest loss of life.

Was talking to my 85 year old neighbor yesterday.
I said man that was bad deal they got down south of here. He answered" I thought it was pretty good". How so I asked. He answered for a storm that bad, alot more coulda died..

callmefence":2pvuuu66 said:
Caustic Burno":2pvuuu66 said:
largest loss of life.

Was talking to my 85 year old neighbor yesterday.
I said man that was bad deal they got down south of here. He answered" I thought it was pretty good". How so I asked. He answered for a storm that bad, alot more coulda died..

The shame about it fence that is exactly what the media wants for ratings.
It has nothing to do with public information or safety no matter the channel.
They have all become fake news.
The only reliable data IMO is NOAA

I haven't watched a lot of the coverage, but there have been a few things that stuck with me. One was when two of the newscasters were back at the station discussing the rescue footage in Houston. They were showing a man in a boat pouring from a blue bottle into the lid and passing it around. The young woman remarked about how nice it was that the boat owner was sharing his water. Her older colleague said "I don't think that's water."

And the reporter in Galveston talking to a local resident about the street flooding. The local said "It floods here when someone spills a drink."

And then there was the footage of a house where a board had blown through the roof and ceiling and into the living space. The reporter was going on and on about that showed how important it was to shelter in an interior room. I still haven't figured out how being in an interior room would protect you from debris coming down from above.

Latest posts