the value of a great cow of the "wrong breed"

Help Support CattleToday:

WalnutCrest

Reaction score
If you raise pedigreed seedstock cattle of one breed, but have a chance to own a few great non-pedigreed cow (or three) of some other breed (or combination of breeds), would you? And why?

WalnutCrest":16ayfb39 said:
If you raise pedigreed seedstock cattle of one breed, but have a chance to own a few great non-pedigreed cow (or three) of some other breed (or combination of breeds), would you? And why?
Yup and because great cattle make money and are fun to have my dream is a registered hereford farm (a BIG one) but i would like to try out some aubracs because i think it would be fun to see what you can do with diffrent breeds so i say go for it :2cents:

If I do have a registered herd, it'll be Buelingos or British Whites as registered cattle. I might throw a random breed in there as an experiment such as Brahman, Belgian Blues, Horned Hereford and full blooded Chi.

we have one that we will have to send to town this year, she had her first calf as a two year old she is a sim x cow. She has had 15 calves and until last year they have been top end. i sure hate seeing her go she has sure been a good one. Out of the 15 calves she has raised 7 were ET calves.

Gizmom

southernultrablack":3rxzpz8h said:
If they were really good calf raisers, couldn't you use them as recipient cows

I have around a dozen cows that haven't calved yet that I was hoping to put embryos in. All are really good, a couple are exceptional. All are varying percentages of Angus and Simmental.

I'm trying to decide what to do with these few exceptional cattle (the others are definitely for sale; not sure if I make an exception for these or not).

I maybe wouldn't replace them with more off-breed animals, but if they're exceptional and and the feed is available, I can usually find other, lesser cows (regardless of pedigree) that should go to town first.
If I were to do purebred, I'd do one herd of Saler, one of Gelbvieh, and for anything less that the best cows, they'd get crossbred to the other breed and make some really nice F1 cows

Shorthorn and fullblood Simmentals are the only two other beef breed of cows you would catch me buying at a sale. Solid color cattle don't do it for me - I need a little chrome. Would also be open to a good Guernsey or Ayrshire. I might buy a Angus or Char bull, but I sure don't want the cowherd that it came from.

While I do enjoy looking at a little chrome, I find it's much easier to add it than to get rid of it, and funky looking stuff gets a serious dock here...

Maybe im not following this just right.

"I have around a dozen cows that haven't calved yet that I was hoping to put embryos in. All are really good, a couple are exceptional. All are varying percentages of Angus and Simmental."

Exeptional cows have calves, the yet part would bother me. sure wouldn't put embryos in cows not calving right.

bse":3r5fcnxl said:
Maybe im not following this just right.

"I have around a dozen cows that haven't calved yet that I was hoping to put embryos in. All are really good, a couple are exceptional. All are varying percentages of Angus and Simmental."

Exeptional cows have calves, the yet part would bother me. sure wouldn't put embryos in cows not calving right.

I bought late breds. I only found out after the sale their bull failed during the breeding season and they had to finish up with another bull. Everything was preg checked before buying.

Calving season is elongated and not really the cows fault.

If you have the resources heck ya I want to be a purebred breeder one day but its hard to beat a crossbred cow. Just my :2cents: Joe

Well, ask yourself couple of questions and answer them as honestly as you can. How much is their asking price compared to the price of similar quality registered cattle of whatever breed you own? then if the price makes sense, ask yourself if you crossed them with a one of your registered bulls what would the cross look like? if its desirable ask yourself how much can i sell them for heavy bred? if it makes sense financially do it, if not you don`t have to buy every good cow you come by, just pass it on to a good friend, maybe someday in the future after he gets a calf or 2 out of them he can sell them to you if you happen to need them.

I am confused by this thread. If you purchased them as bred and they are calving later than you anticipated how can you say they are exceptional? Have you seen calves out of them and know they do a great job or are they just good looking cows? Honestly not trying to stir, I just don't know if I quite follow what your saying.

gizmom

Latest posts