The smallest calf!

Help Support CattleToday:

mmurrey2

Reaction score
Hi- I am new to pposting on this forum, I usually just read the post that everyone else has posted. Well I thought that I'd share this with all. We had a calf yesterday and to our surprise she is the smallest calf we have ever seen. She is only 18lbs., yes to all that had to read that twice it is not a typo error. She actually weighs that much(or little). I have brought her into the house because she wasn't nursing, well she couldn't even reach the udder. The momma is not a first time heifer but she did have a miscarriage last time around. I am bottle feeding her but I do have a question how much should she eat? I don't know if she is getting enough or not. She has taking about 1 1/2 pints in a 12 hour time frame. She is stading ,mooing ,walking just like all calves but she is just so tiny. Thanks ahead for any advice.

You have given colostrum?

And good luck! Most cows have plops that weigh more than that!

Very interested to see how you make out.( There are a few of us looking into a lap cow venture, we may have a place for you if this calf works out ). :lol:

1 and 1/2 to 2 pints in the 12 hour time frame should be okay for a calf that size. As long as she isn't sick, she will consume as much as she is hungry for.

That is one tiny little baby! Good luck with her. The smallest I've had here was approx. 35 lbs born a month early and only lived for 6 days. The next smallest was last year, at a whopping 45 lbs and caught up and grew off as well as his peers.

Katherine

Yes she has gotten colostrum and still is recieving it. I have a friend who has a dairy farm so all the colostrum or milk I need I get it. She is a black angus cross with limosine. She is still alive and so far still eating. :D Well I'll kepp you updated on how she is doing. AngusLimoX, I might take you up on the offer for lap cows, Just think lap cows in every home...LOL
Mellissa

mmurrey2":332lepx4 said:
AngusLimoX, I might take you up on the offer for lap cows, Just think lap cows in every home...LOL
Mellissa

I wonder how one would go about house-breaking a calf? :???:

Mellissa, sounds amazing, glad you have a good food supply for the little thing and hope she does okay...thought she might be a Dexter being that tiny. Have you got her in the house? Any chance of a photo?

Msscamp, don't laugh, someone called the other day looking for a donkey, asking if they could be housebroken...I don't think one of ours will be going to that home, LOL.

Gale Seddon":2mf9xpdj said:
Msscamp, don't laugh, someone called the other day looking for a donkey, asking if they could be housebroken...I don't think one of ours will be going to that home, LOL.

Who's laughing? :???: :???:

And to think of all the crappola that I take when the girls mow the front lawn.

The lightest calf that we have was 45# out of an early berd heifer. Yearling weight of a monstrous 800# but still growing...good condition, nice looks just looks like a big weanling.

:shock: That is incredible! Does she have all of her hair or is it really short? I didn't know they could come that small and live! I'd love to see a pic too.

Hi All, Well she was swithced over to raw milk today and was she ever anxious for it. She drank it striaght down the times she was fed. Yes she has hair and it is a good length. My herford that I had bottle fed three years ago was only 35#s She was a twin and a month to early. She had very little hair and I kept her in my basement in a dog welping box. I don't know if I can post a picture or not I'll try. She actually got frisky and jumped around a little today. I was happy to see that because yesrterday she worried me a little. She just laid around and didn't moo at me or anything.I am going to try to post the picture on the photo gallery.[/code][/list]

I hope this works, I can't figure out how to post the picture on the photo gallery. The date on my camera isn't right that's the next thing I have to figure out!!

Oooooh and aaaaaahhhhh...can't resist...thanks for doing the photos! Hope she continues to do well...has she put on some weight?

What a cute calf. Eye lashes are almost bigger than her eyes LOL.

Hope it works out, she looks more like a lamb right now.

Mike

Well here is an update on the calf, She is up to 23lbs. YEAH!! She is doing good, she is eating about 25 ozs. at each feeding. She will run after the goats or puppy that we have. She is wagging her tail when she eats. As you can tell I'm proud of her.Just thought that I'd share her update with everyone!!

Mellissa

I just thought I'd share that she is still doing great and has actually gained 19lbs. She is up to 37 lbs. She has grown in height and weight. She is above my knee now. I have her halter broke, because when I was getting her out of her pen for excersize I wasn't able to catch her untill she was tired of running laps around our house. I introduced her to my herford to get her ready to be put into the field with her, all went well with that. She is starting to eat grain and has been nibbling on hay. Just thought i'd share her progress!
Mellissa