The problem with the TB industry

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
After reading the post on Barbaro, it renewed some angry thoughts about the TB industry.

1. They run 2 yr old races, which means the horses are started hard as long yearlings.

2. They breed so many horses just to run, the many horses that don't make the cut end up as dog food, or just buried on the property. A waste of horse that should never have been born.

3. It's an industry that allows bad things to go on at the lower levels, drugs, tazers (sp), corruption amongest the trainers and jockeys (again at the smaller tracks).

4. For whatever reason, not allowing AI into the breeding picture. With DNA testing, I see no reason not the have AI or embryo transfers.

Just a bunch of stuffed shirts wanting to keep the club private and their rules, regardless of how many horses they hurt. :mad: But, because of the money behind the people involved it will probably never be changed. Enough money to buy any influence they need.

Just some angry thoughts this morning... back to my coffee and some jokes in the coffee shop.

Alan

You're right,but now,if they're caught dopeing,they're barred from raceing----read the history of dopeing and such in raceing history,it's awful..

peg4x4":blooti8a said:
You're right,but now,if they're caught dopeing,they're barred from raceing----read the history of dopeing and such in raceing history,it's awful..

Yea but at alot of the little, po-dunk, tracks they let alot slide. A bay gelding may have won the race, but an old grey mare may go to the vet tent for the test. I was around the race industry for about 3 yrs before I had enough, and spent enough.

Alan

I agree with you on every point except #4. I wish the AQHA wasn't so freewheeling with their AI policies.Z

MillIronQH":1ww5ssfw said:
I agree with you on every point except #4. I wish the AQHA wasn't so freewheeling with their AI policies.Z

I agree the the AQHA is to lose with their policies on AI, I don't think they should limit the number of mares bred a season to AI. That would only drive the stud fees up. But I do hate the embryo transfers, I hope they still only allow one foal reg. per mare a year. Cloning would lose me for horses at a professional level, would still have my gelding for trails.

Alan

I have to admit that as a stallion owner the idea of higher stud fees is one I don't have a problem with. But then I'd like to see AQHA go to a testing and approval system like the Warmblood assns. use.Z

I don't follow breeding much, but isn't the current state of breeding and registering with AQHA a result of a suit about 3 or 4 years ago. I haven't kept up but remember that the number of foals registered as being out of a stud was successfully challenged. I understood that there's now no limit. It scarey how much power Judges have over EVERYTHING in our lives, horses not being near the only thing.

While I agree there is corruption in the horse racing industry, I believe it isn't limited to the small tracks. I spent quite a few years around racing when my in-laws were involved. They ran at big tracks and small ones. It is hard for the small time owner/trainer to compete with the big time people with deep pockets. I have never witnessed any cheating or fixing races, but have suspected it. As for a horse winning a race and another going to the test barn, it has been my experience that the winner of every race goes and sometimes a randomly tested horse also. I agree with Alan about them being run as 2 year olds. They should be started until they are at least 2. and probably not run till at least 3 or 4. A TB's legs aren't ready for the incredible stress placed on them in a race that young. But that's just my opinion. Some would disagree, but oh well.

What I have seen on small tracks; the starting gate opens and a horse leaps out, off like a bolt, tail straight up in the air. The gate man jumps down runs out about 20 to 30 feet in front of the gate and picks something up off the ground and puts it in his pocket...hum, tazed? Walking through the the shed row and a few horses with two little burn marks on their neck... hum tazed? Hours before the racing starts, again walking through the shed row and a horse getting a shot, they shut the stall door as I go by. A horse that out classes the rest of the field is in a race, near or in the lead on the back strech, then the jockey stands up and starts pulling him back, finishes near the back of the pack, fair for the people betting? Saw a horse break down and the leg from the knee down came off and about hit my jockey in the head, one the of the big reasons I got out of racing. I will admit I have never seen the horse switch in the vet tent, but listened to many different people complaining about it in the coffee shop at the track.

Just some of the things I know about horse racing at the small tracks, I don't think the money would let big time racers get away with that stuff. Haven't even touched on the 2yr horse stuff.

Alan

Alan, after reading what you describe, I don't think I want to hear about the 2 yr old stuff. Just plain horrible.

The marks on the horses neck sound like what Ive heard called a bug. I t uses a 9 volt battery, and the jocks keep them concealed in their gloves. As for giving shots a few hours before a race, it may or may not be a legal shot. Its possible for it to be Lasix which is used for a bleeder, and is legal. Or possibly calcium which is also legal. Trainers are usually secretive about their methods even when legal. And yes it does happen at the big tracks, probably more so than the small ones because the purse isn't worth the consequences at the small ones. Getting back to the testing barn. If you were to try an switch the horses there you would have to pay off the steward there. The horses have their tattoo checked in the paddock before a race, and then again in the test barn. So I think it would be unlikely a switch occurred. Now jockeys holding back their mount in a race, a think that happens also. Ive got a feeling we would agree on the 2yr issue and that could start a whole nother thread here.

Don't know about horse racing, but any 2 year old is a touch too young to do any serious riding, cattle working, and much less racing. Bones, joints, muscles, ligaments are not exactly mature enough to avoid injury or long term effects.

IMO horse racing and the show circuits are rather full of politics, "winning", human ego-enhancement, and of course, MONEY.

Enough said... :x

kjones":iobltueb said:
The marks on the horses neck sound like what Ive heard called a bug. I t uses a 9 volt battery, and the jocks keep them concealed in their gloves. As for giving shots a few hours before a race, it may or may not be a legal shot. Its possible for it to be Lasix which is used for a bleeder, and is legal. Or possibly calcium which is also legal. Trainers are usually secretive about their methods even when legal. And yes it does happen at the big tracks, probably more so than the small ones because the purse isn't worth the consequences at the small ones. Getting back to the testing barn. If you were to try an switch the horses there you would have to pay off the steward there. The horses have their tattoo checked in the paddock before a race, and then again in the test barn. So I think it would be unlikely a switch occurred. Now jockeys holding back their mount in a race, a think that happens also. Ive got a feeling we would agree on the 2yr issue and that could start a whole nother thread here.

The ones I seen are about the size of of a hand held cattle tazer. I think in the case I refer to in the vet tent, it was the vet that was paid off, but again it was just several owners and trainers complaining in the coffee shop. As far a needles go you are 100% correct, it could have been Lasix, bute or some other legal drug, or maybe not.

Bottom line is these things happen and it only hurts the horse.

Alan

I've thought for years that the horse show industry in general, not just racing, should rethink starting their horses so young. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but aren't Warmbloods started later, and certainly pushed less? Many of those top level eventers are in their early teens, which says something for a good conditioning and training program, IMO.

I do not think coruption and people's "win at all costs" attitude is limited strictly to TB racing or equine sports for that matter.

Its very sad what some people will do to win.

Im happy to say though, that horses started as twos CAN lead normal, long productive lives. We start our QH's and Paints as two year olds(if they are mentaly and physicaly ready) and let them go at their own pace. We've never pushed one where it broke down, mentaly or physicaly.

My mares are considered "aged"(one is 15, the other 11), both started as twos, campainged hard and are still healthy and sound and winning.

I know, not all stories end this way, but I think it comes down to proper management and good horsemanship

Sarah

Latest posts