The old days

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
My kids showed heifers for many years. They showed Sim, Simbra, Angus and commercial. They did best with the commercial.. My rules on showing were if you were going to show a heifer, you'll do all the work. This rule makes showing hard because so many kids show calves their parents do all the work on. But that goes with any competitive thing kids do. The most important part was, my kids were learning and becoming responsible.

I only remember one of these heifers, the red w/f, Stella. We got many replacements out of her, some AI some not....I can always tell if a calf is a descendant of Stella..

I showed as a kid. I credit it with many of the choices I have made. My kids would like to show, but they always choose rodeo over showing. We just don't have the time for both. Lots more people could show than do. it wouldn't be too hard to come up with a commercial heifer for a family that already owns cattle.

Thats why they went to commercial..They got the pick out of hundreds. Back then we had more lease land and ran over 350.. They won grand quite a bit.
We also did rodeos, but not competitively. We ran in a drill team. Honestly, i dont know how i managed it all. Calf shows, rodeos and i had one daughter who a JO gymnast...I took them to everything, one truck stayed hooked to the trailer..Now i have a hard time finding time to just run to the store for milk...lol Maybe it was because internet hadnt been invented yet.....Thank you Al Gore!

cowgirl8":3pjqvfer said:
Thats why they went to commercial..They got the pick out of hundreds. Back then we had more lease land and ran over 350.. They won grand quite a bit.
We also did rodeos, but not competitively. We ran in a drill team. Honestly, i dont know how i managed it all. Calf shows, rodeos and i had one daughter who a JO gymnast...I took them to everything, one truck stayed hooked to the trailer..Now i have a hard time finding time to just run to the store for milk...lol Maybe it was because internet hadnt been invented yet.....Thank you Al Gore!

I'm probably a bad parent, but I let my kids pick two things to do. girls chose rodeo, and dance/gymnastics. Boy chose rodeo, and raising bucking bulls. He was rodeo and basketball prior to that. If we're going to do something, it's 100% effort or a no go. I just can't spread myself thin enough to chase everything they are interested in. If somebody had chose showing a heifer, we would do it. It was on the table, and nobody claimed it.

We had 4 kids...2 oldest showed cattle, 3rd daughter wasnt really into it, she was the gymnast. 2 oldest daughters loved riding and i loved the sparkly outfits the drill team wore..Son showed some but wasnt into it either. He just followed his father around and learned everything he knew how to do. I was in charge of the girls and i was a tiger mom in a sense...Yep, i was spread thin.. I was a believer that if i kept them busy they were too busy to get into trouble. My parents didnt do much with us and my brother go into all kinds of trouble..It was fear of that and seeing what my parents went through that drove me to keep them very busy..

I never showed cattle growing up. I rodeoed and showed horses and showed goats some. My brother and I just didn't have the interest to show cattle then. Several of my friends did, so I hope they are ready to help if my kids (when I have kids) want to show cattle.

My parents did not participate very much in my efforts with showing cattle. (Some bad experiences.)I always had good horses to show, thanks to my older sister.
I guess that I am doing and enjoying things with the cattle now, that I was not able to be successful at as a kid. I am hoping to get the grand kids more involved as they get older. :D

Early 80's

4H_1983.jpg

My boys did it as well and in about 9 years I hope my new grandson has the desire.

VCC":3ouuyctp said:
Early 80's

4H_1983.jpg

My boys did it as well and in about 9 years I hope my new grandson has the desire.
Great picture.....thats back when cattle were what they were suppose to be... :D

cowgirl8":2lip5yjd said:
VCC":2lip5yjd said:
Early 80's

4H_1983.jpg

Great picture.....thats back when cattle were what they were suppose to be... :D
Really :?: :?: I know the show steers today would hang a better carcass ! Back then they had a frame score of 7+ and be able to walk underneath them and would dress @ 50% because they were all bone. I know what it was like I showed then, and I know what it takes to win now we're still very active in the show ring. you can keep the good old days and the show cattle too, the quality has progressed alot since then

VCC":8dkrr9n7 said:
Early 80's

4H_1983.jpg

VCC we showed at Del Mar a few times, but mostly with our horses. I loved that little fair. I too showed a traditional simmental steer for my senior year in high school, at the Chino Junior Fair in Chino, CA in 1987. That steer made the papers, and won champion or reserve champion, I can not remember today! It was some good times, and made me have the desire I have today.
For what it is worth CG8, my kids halter break their own calves, and do all the work it takes to get where they go. They work hard, and all I do is assist when needed, like paying the feed bill and such :dunce:

Latest posts