11 month old & still Green

Help Support CattleToday:

LunaBelle

Reaction score
Yesterday we went to a show & the judge said all amazing things about my heifer but said she was green. Every show I attended each judge says the same. I know she is but I just can't get her to eat & fill out! Her flank area stays sunk in. She has access to costal hay all the time & I feed her on a strict 12 hour apart schedule but can't even get her to consume 12lbs a day. The strange thing is she will will not hardly touch her food in the morning & sometimes not at all but will eat her morning ration plus her night ration all up most of the time. I'm at a loss as to what to do to get her eating so she will fill out.

Have you had your hay tested for digestibility? Eating low digestibility forages will reduce their feed intake. I'd either get a hay test or swap it out for some higher quality alfalfa hay for a while.

No, I have never had it tested. We buy it from Atwood's so I assumed it was good.

Is water consumption good, and is it good clean source
Probably not your problem but just a thought

What feed are you using? If you can't get her to eat enough, you probably need to try something different - maybe something with a different texture.I know that a lot of people push very high fiber, lower energy rations for show heifers these days. They want them to stay full but not put on condition, and I'm not opposed to that. But it could be that your heifer needs a little more energy for more condition at this point. And it could improve her appetite as well.

As far as her not eating in the mornings, you may want to try giving her entire days ration in the evening and leaving it overnight. Some cattle do eat better this way.

Water consumption good & I clean them out every other day or so. I feed a popular show calf mix from a local feed store. I have tried multiple different feeds and no change. I make sure they have a salt block, mineral block & protein tub. I can try to just feed her at night but i would have to lock her up all night in her pen to separate her from the other so the other heifer doesn't eat it all for her.

She shouldn't need a protein tub. Protein tubs are forage supplements, not designed to be fed with grain rations - they will encourage forage consumption. It's very possible that's why she's not eating much grain - I'd take that away and see what happens.

If you're feeding it for the minerals and vitamins, a vitaferm stress tub would be a better choice. We do keep those out for our show calves, but they're not a big source of protein or energy.

I will pull it up but it's not the problem seeing as it's only been out there about 2 weeks & she has been not eating much for a long time. She has never really ate good. We have had her since October 10th.