The Hitler Heck Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
Rise of Nazi super cows

In the 1930s, Nazi second in command Hermann Goering asked geneticists Heinz and Lutz Heck to re-create the extinct species. A keen hunter, Goering instructed them to develop a genetically engineered species by back-breeding from auroch descendants.

The Heck brothers – working independently - crossed Spanish fighting bulls with Highland cattle, along with primitive breeds from Corsica and Hungary. The result – Nazi super cows. They were used for propaganda material during WWII – their bodies were huge and muscular, with massive horns – an illustration of the strength of the party.

Gow said: "There was a thinking that you could selectively breed animals – and indeed people – for 'Aryan' characteristics, which were rooted in runes, folklore and legend. What the Germans did with their breeding programme was create something truly primeval.

"The reason the Nazis were so supportive of the project is they wanted them to be fierce and aggressive. When the Germans were selecting them to create this animal they used Spanish fighting cattle to give them the shape and ferocity they wanted."

Problems and downfall

While resembling aurochs, Heck cattle never matched the size and stature of the extinct species. The brothers only ever managed to breed the cattle to the size of domestic cows. However, the physical resemblance was strong – as was the aggressive temperament.

Neither of the Heck brothers is believed to have survived WWII, with Lutz Heck's breed of cattle also dying out before 1945. As a result, all modern Heck breeds are descendants of Heinz Heck's experiments, with breeds including Hungarian Grey, Highland, Corsican and Murnau-Werdenfels.

Modern Hecks

Heck bulls today measure about 1.4m in height and weight up to 600kg. Their horns, while present, are not as uniform as aurochs, curving up or out more than the original species. However, the breed is very well suited to life in the wild, able to withstand cold temperatures and nutrient-poor food.

Currently there are about 2,000 Heck cattle in Europe, with the species found roaming free in nature reserves in Barvaria and the Netherlands.

Gow said that since he slaughtered the aggressive animals, the rest of the herd is no longer murderous.

"Since they have gone it is all peaceful again. Peace reigns supreme on the farm. Despite these problems, I have no regrets at all. It has been a good thing to do and the history of them is fascinating," he said, adding that the sausages tasted a bit like venison.

PS: I have eaten many of Africa's bovines. Eland, kudu, even Steinbok. None tasted like venison. In fact, bovines taste like beef. Including Cape Buffalo. Kudu and Eland are considered the best. I found that statement above to be doubtful.

Hey Inyati, you old buffalo. Some of the species you mentioned are antelopes, not bovines. Best wishes/ Intundle

ANAZAZI":1eejs2tk said:
Hey Inyati, you old buffalo. Some of the species you mentioned are antelopes, not bovines. Best wishes/ Intundle
Technically antelopes are bovine species. They're in family Bovidae. So Inyati is still correct .

Muddy":2z9at02l said:
ANAZAZI":2z9at02l said:
Technically antelopes are bovine species. They're in family Bovidae. So Inyati is still correct .

Actually no. The antilopes are not bovines, they are not in Bovinae. They are Bovids, Bovidae.
Bovidae includes Bovinae (Bovines), Caprinae (sheep, goats, and their likes), Antilopinae, Cephalophinae, Alcelaphinae, Aephycerotinae, hippotraginae, Peleinae, and Reduncinae (all antelopes)

Antelopes are no more Bovine than sheep are.

ANAZAZI":o2kl0kkq said:
Muddy":o2kl0kkq said:
ANAZAZI":o2kl0kkq said:

Actually no. The antilopes are not bovines, they are not in Bovinae. They are Bovids, Bovidae.
Bovidae includes Bovinae (Bovines), Caprinae (sheep, goats, and their likes), Antilopinae, Cephalophinae, Alcelaphinae, Aephycerotinae, hippotraginae, Peleinae, and Reduncinae (all antelopes)

You better look that up!!!!

Kudu, Eland and Steinbok are members of the Family Bovidae. Google it. Wikipedia usually provides a complete taxonomic tree.

Look up Sheep while you are at it. Sheep are bovids!

I did sheep for you:

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Artiodactyla
Family: Bovidae
Subfamily: Caprinae
Genus: Ovis

In hierarchical taxonomy, Family always ends in idae. Subfamily ends in inae. Sheep are Bovids meaning they belong to the family Bovidae. They are Caprinae as far as the Subfamily.

Anazazi:

In referring to any group of organisms, it is common practice to use the Latin term for their family. For example, humans are Hominids. It is acceptable practice to refer to all members of the Family Bovidae as Bovids. Kudu, Impala, Sable, Eland, Bongo, Bushbuck, klipspringer, Gemsbok, etc. Are African antelopes of the Family Bovidae. Thus they are Bovids.

Anazazi:

The species I mentioned that I have eaten were the following:
Cape Buffalo
Kudu
Eland
Steenbok or Steinbok if you prefer.

The only one I have not found the Subfamily of it the Steinbok.

All the others are Bovidae of the Subfamily Bovinae. Thus, they are properly referred to as bovines. Please check yourself. I am open to changing my position.

I may be an old buffalo but I still have a handle on the binomial hierarchy established by the great Carl von Linnaeus.

inyati13":1psbo72j said:
ANAZAZI":1psbo72j said:

You better look that up!!!!

Kudu, Eland and Steinbok are members of the Family Bovidae. Google it. Wikipedia usually provides a complete taxonomic tree.

Look up Sheep while you are at it. Sheep are bovids!

I did sheep for you:

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Artiodactyla
Family: Bovidae
Subfamily: Caprinae
Genus: Ovis

In hierarchical taxonomy, Family always ends in idae. Subfamily ends in inae. Sheep are Bovids meaning they belong to the family Bovidae. They are Caprinae as far as the Subfamily.

Thanks for supporting exactly what I said , while beleiving you disagree. Read my post again very slowly; make note of where I put the words "Bovids" and "Bovines". Also, thanks for a good story.

Anazazi: I did read closely. Yes, we are in substantial agreement at the Family level, Bovidae. Cattle, sheep, most antelope (one exception is the North American Pronghorn Antelope , Antilocapridae, is not a bovid) goats, gazelles, etc. are bovids.

There is still one point. You stated:

ANAZAZI":3ap1hkfc said:

Your post above has one error. Cape Buffalo, Kudu, Eland and Steinbok are true bovines which is contrary to your statement "not bovines". The Kudu, Eland and Steinbok are antelopes but they are also BOVINES. Family Bovidae and Subfamily BOVINAE. The Cape Buffalo is not an antelope, it is a bovine of the Family BOVIDAE and Subfamily BOVINAE.

Sorry, to split hairs but I worship at the altar of taxonomy. Thanks for engaging me. Keeps me on my toes.

PS: FYI, Wikipedia.

Bovidae is the biological family of cloven-hoofed, ruminant mammals that includes bison, African buffalo, water buffalo, antelopes, gazelles, sheep, goats, muskoxen, and domestic cattle. A member of this family is called a bovid.