The economy must be getting better

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Its gotta be getting better. I started a large project today. 4 crews were supposed to be running for 3 days maybe 4. This morning, I had not just one, but 2 guys either say they couldn't work at all or only could work one day. Down to 2 rigs running and still have to get it done by thursday.
Yep, it's monday

We've heard similar stories in recent days. Can't even staff up for a one month turn around. The head hunter companies cannot fill the positions.

I remember being hungry for work back in the day.

backhoeboogie":j1273u5r said:
We've heard similar stories in recent days. Can't even staff up for a one month turn around. The head hunter companies cannot fill the positions.

That was back before stamp collecting was popular. They suppress your appetite.

Im pretty lit up right now. I pay top dollar, based on quality and speed. And they leave me in a bind like this. I called another company to sub some of it out and he wanted 200.00/hr.
Yep you read that right. 200.00/hr. I laughed at him and told him
That's why he doesn't have much work right now

Commercialfarmer":22be64is said:
backhoeboogie":22be64is said:

That was back before stamp collecting was popular. They suppress your appetite.

Around here we have artists. They cannot paint worth a darn, but they sure can draw. :x

That's the good thing about hiring illegals through the federal govt's migrant assistance program cause if Jose can't work he'll send Phillippe and you won't be hung out to dry on your contract.

A local welder hired some hands to try and catch up. He thought he could teach them a trade and earn a few nickels. They stole him blind. He said replacing his tools cost him more than they earned.

dieselbeef":6mqyx8fj said:
why work..make too much money obama will cut off yer bennys

Exactly !! Just check out the increase in the number of people on welfare & disability over the last 3 &1/2 years. They have exploded. Why work when Obama will pay you not to ? :devil2:

ohiobeef":147fnssn said:
dieselbeef":147fnssn said:

Exactly !! Just check out the increase in the number of people on welfare & disability over the last 3 &1/2 years. They have exploded. Why work when Obama will pay you not to ? :devil2:

I promise you those are more of your neighbors than illegals. ;-)

backhoeboogie":1854kt38 said:

A lot of that get's down to they can't find enough to pass the drug test today and demographic's.
I know of a large refinery that was paying the contractor's on their day's off and lay over between turn around's to keep them form leaving for another job.
A huge problem when my generation started retireing you lost a huge number of machinist, pipefitter's, electrican's instumentation, rigger's,boilermaker's, welder's and operator's. The younger generation chose to go to college verses the trades.

And a lot of those college grads now find themselves so "over-qualified" that they can't get any job--and have a huge student loan to boot..

All my family here has had a big problem finding a carpenter that wants to work. I guess they just don't exist anymore.

greybeard":3lsxgmbb said:
And a lot of those college grads now find themselves so "over-qualified" that they can't get any job--and have a huge student loan to boot..

All my family here has had a big problem finding a carpenter that wants to work. I guess they just don't exist anymore.

It was pushed down my throat in high school that if you wanted to get ahead in the world you needed a college degree, so most of the motivated and hard workers in my class went to college. I probably would have been better off not going to college and going to work for a carpenter, or machine shop. Could have spent four years making money while I learned a trade, rather than spending four years accruing debt learning stuff that 50% of it will never help me in the working world.

Brute 23":2gi4i749 said:
ohiobeef":2gi4i749 said:
dieselbeef":2gi4i749 said:

I promise you those are more of your neighbors than illegals. ;-)

https://www.facebook.com/melanie.sanders.564
The $50 Lesson

Recently, while I was working in the flower beds in the front yard, my neighbors stopped to chat as they returned home from walking their dog. During our friendly conversation, I asked their little girl what she wanted to be when she grows up. She said she wanted to be President some day. Both of her parents, liberal Democrats, were standing there, so I asked her, "If you were President what would be the first thing you would do?" She replied... "I'd give food and houses to all the homeless people." Her parents beamed with pride! "Wow...what a worthy goal!" I said. "But you don't have to wait until you're President to do that!" I told her. "What do you mean?" she replied. So I told her, "You can come over to my house and mow the lawn, pull weeds, and trim my hedge, and I'll pay you $50. Then you can go over to the grocery store where the homeless guy hangs out and give him the $50 to use toward food and a new house." She thought that over for a few seconds, then she looked me straight in the eye and asked, "Why doesn't the homeless guy come over and do the work, and you can just pay him the $50?" I said, "Welcome to the Republican Party." Her parents aren't speaking to me anymore.

The $50 Lesson

Recently, while I was working in the flower beds in the front yard, my neighbors stopped to chat as they returned home from walking their dog. During our friendly conversation, I asked their little girl what she wanted to be when she grows up. She said she wanted to be President some day. Both of her parents, liberal Democrats, were standing there, so I asked her, "If you were President what would be the first thing you would do?" She replied... "I'd give food and houses to all the homeless people." Her parents beamed with pride! "Wow...what a worthy goal!" I said. "But you don't have to wait until you're President to do that!" I told her. "What do you mean?" she replied. So I told her, "You can come over to my house and mow the lawn, pull weeds, and trim my hedge, and I'll pay you $50. Then you can go over to the grocery store where the homeless guy hangs out and give him the $50 to use toward food and a new house." She thought that over for a few seconds, then she looked me straight in the eye and asked, "Why doesn't the homeless guy come over and do the work, and you can just pay him the $50?" I said, "Welcome to the Republican Party." Her parents aren't speaking to me anymore.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
I love this on so many levels.

chicken farmer":1r5l2nx3 said:
greybeard":1r5l2nx3 said:

It was pushed down my throat in high school that if you wanted to get ahead in the world you needed a college degree, so most of the motivated and hard workers in my class went to college. I probably would have been better off not going to college and going to work for a carpenter, or machine shop. Could have spent four years making money while I learned a trade, rather than spending four years accruing debt learning stuff that 50% of it will never help me in the working world.

Youngest son joined the Air Force Oct 1 2001 when he got out hired on in Electrican Appreticeship program.
Program was paying 25 buck's an hour working 3 day's a week and paying you to go to school the other two.
That gave veteran's preference.
Today he is a Master Electrian pulling down 150K + a year.

There is something to be said for a college education, but not much!

I never went to college. Just started working and then started the business. I wish that I had gone to college in some ways. I'd have more options than i do now.
There's a lot to be said for the trades, but almost all trades are very physically demanding and that cant last forever

Latest posts