The Cycle

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
I started breeding for 2019 Fall Calves Yesterday. Bred a cow to Shell Shocked. Today, I bred a Live Ammo heifer to Cowboy Cut. I started a little before Thanksgiving but I didn't want to wait on another cycle. I like my calves to have a couple months age before the Gales of November turn gloomy.

The fall calves are now coming under the hot wire and getting away from mom. They are now eating feed mix that is 12 % protein. Not much but they like the feed. I am also dropping some wedges of grass hay. They mostly lay on it.

wbvs58":1mdegrci said:
It sounds like you have an itchy trigger finger Ron, I get like that.

Ken

I wanted to get back in the saddle. Last cow I bred was in July at Fire Sweep's Ranch. I needed to get my routine started.

Yep Ron, that is exactly how I get. I like to pick up a cow or two before I get to do the synched heifers so I refresh my memory with my routine and to build my confidence in that I can still do it.

Ken

Put CIDR's in a small group today. I'm excited to breed my first cows here in about 9-10 days

I will also be getting started. This year I had two born while we were at NY State Fair, so I thought I would hold off a few extra days to get past that time period for calving. No problems, just not here to weigh & give shots.